I've searched extensively for this, but failing to arrive at a proper solution, I had to proceed with this question.

I have just recently started learning JavaFX/Java and I am trying to build a table which, along with some other columns, would have a single ProgressIndicator column. This means that a ProgressIndicator needs to be displayed within a table cell.

Work I've done so far: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=QxSmsJCT

@Override // This method is called by the FXMLLoader when initialization is complete
public void initialize(URL fxmlFileLocation, ResourceBundle resources) {
    fileName.setCellValueFactory(new PropertyValueFactory<Table, String>("fileName"));
    transferSpeed.setCellValueFactory(new PropertyValueFactory<Table, Double>("transferSpeed"));

piColumn.setCellValueFactory(new PropertyValueFactory<Table, Double>("piColumn"));
    ProgressIndicatorTableCell pitc = new ProgressIndicatorTableCell();

class ProgressIndicatorTableCell<S> extends TableCell<S, Double> {
    public <S> Callback<TableColumn<S, Double>, TableCell<S, Double>> forTableColumn() {
        return new Callback<TableColumn<S, Double>, TableCell<S, Double>>() {
          public TableCell<S, Double> call(TableColumn<S, Double> param) {
            return new ProgressIndicatorTableCell<>();

While the other columns work perfectly (and display the data I feed them), I'm not able to figure out why the ProgressIndicator doesn't show up at all.

If the errors and mistakes within my code's logic and/or project hierarchy setup could also be highlighted, it would be extremely appreciated.

2 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by JamesCherrill

After a bit of searching on the internet, I discovered that a native class already exists: ProgressBarTableCell. However, since there was no similar class found for a ProgressIndicator, I modified the ProgressBar class for my purpose. After a bit of fixing, the ProgressIndicator now started showing up, however, no matter what I set the progress to (using setProgress), it always shows up in the "indeterminate" form.

Any ideas?

Hi n21115

JavaFX is still very new as a mainstream technology, and it looks like not many people here have got any real in-depth experience with it yet. Even if you can't get the answers you need I hope you will continue to feed back what you are learning about this for the benefit of everyone who is following just behind you.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.