Hello:

I am seeking a few tips in regards to debugging: I have been using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition for the last few months but am not very comfortable with its debugging platform. I simply wish to step through a section of the program via breakpoints and view variable values; How can I set this to do so, show a variable's value-- a watch? At this point, I see no visible output regarding breakpoint findings.

I keep getting a reference to "ostream" and a display of its contents-- this is not helpful for me at this point (too much information, I believe) and I honestly cannot make much of the ostream coding. I am not sure why the compiler is doing this. There must be an important reason (I wish to understand this, too).

Thank-you in advance for any help.

sharky_machine:)

This thread most probably discusses your problem. Go through it and see if it has the solution.

WolfPack:

Thank-you for you reply. I tried a few things from the suggested thread. In reference to the anti-virus consideration-- that sounds unusual-- I did not try it, but I appreciate the info.

Basically I found out that by simply rolling over the variable the "datatip" cursor-tooltip shows me the value of the variable (and quite a strange value it is, maybe "garbage", which does not make sense with what I am doing)

As far as ostream goes, I just ignore it and try to work around it ;)

Thanks again.

sharky_machine

Well, then that means you can pause the program when it hits the breakpoint. So I guess this should do. Just google for "Visual C++ Debugging" or something on that lines, and you should get a load of material.

<<"In reference to the anti-virus consideration-- that sounds unusual-- I did not try it, but I appreciate the info."

>>I know it sounds unusual, but, it did solve my problem. ;)

By the way, thanks for that link Wolfpack, seems I didn't use the proper search words for that kind of tutorial :)

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.