Does any one know of a complier that supports the 80 bit long double?? Or do you have any idea how to get one on VC++ 6.0
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I don't know, but I'd definitely suggest trashing that old crap and getting a new compiler such as Visual Studio 2005 Express, or Dev-C++.

And if you need to hold huge numbers I'd suggest looking into a math library.

If long double doesn't do it, I'm not sure. If you desperately need the precision, you could also use a 3rd party high (or arbitrary) precision library.

Oh, and unless you absolutely need VC6.0, I'd recommend you upgrade to something from this millenium. There is a free version of VC available from Microsoft even ;)

[edit:] quite the race going on here :p

Well I am using VC 6.0 because it was given to me to learn c++, but according to
according to Microsoft they quit supporting the 80 bit long double when they started making 32 bit compilers, so getting a newer one from Microsoft will not do me any good.

Well I am using VC 6.0 because it was given to me to learn c++.

And it's fine for learning C++. It follows enough of the standard that you won't have to worry about it. Compilers aren't like stereo systems where you have to have the latest and greatest every year. VC6 is still in extensive use.

It still bugs me when people keep suggesting someone upgrade just because a new version comes out. That's not always recommended. For example, have you guys upgraded to Vista? XP is so old... :twisted:

On my system Dev-C++ IDE supports the long double data type and shows it 12 byte(96 bit) with sizeof();

For more information you can look at here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_double

Are you using Dev-C++ ver 4. and should i be able to run both vc6 and Dev C++ 4 on the same computer and same hard drive partition.

and should i be able to run both vc6 and Dev C++ 4 on the same computer and same hard drive partition.

Yes, they are just two different applications that do the same thing. ;)

Are you using Dev-C++ ver 4. and should i be able to run both vc6 and Dev C++ 4 on the same computer and same hard drive partition.

Yes to all...

For example, have you guys upgraded to Vista? XP is so old... :twisted:

Sorry couldn't resist this... Is Vista free ? I guess no. Good compilers are not hard to get by, so the only reason for not upgrading would be laziness or some genuine project constraint....

Sorry couldn't resist this... Is Vista free ? I guess no. Good compilers are not hard to get by, so the only reason for not upgrading would be laziness or some genuine project constraint....

You missed my point completely :p

That being... :D

It still bugs me when people keep suggesting someone upgrade just because a new version comes out. That's not always recommended.

But I guess Walt's point was that Vista isn't the best upgrade choice right now, regardless of its price...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.