Hi I know this sounds really stupid, but I cannot figure out how to run the wxPython demo program. I'm using OS X and I downloaded the latest demo/docs package. When I double click on the "wxPytho demo.app", there is a splash screen with the wxPython logo, but then there is nothing. There is no window to see or click on. The menu has only one item outside of the default OS X ones, this being the quit item. I went into the sample folder and tried to run the "demo.pyw". The result was the same. I ran "Main.py" and the same thing happened again except that I got the following error in the console:

Last login: Sun Apr  1 00:03:25 on ttyp3
Welcome to Darwin!
hai-trans-powerbook-g4-15:~ haitran$ "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/bin/python"  "/Volumes/wxPython2.8-osx-docs-demos-2.8.3.0-universal10.4-py2.5/Samples/demo/Main.py"  && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "//Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-mac-unicode/wx/_misc.py", line 1286, in Notify
    self.notify()
  File "//Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-mac-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 13637, in Notify
    self.result = self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/Volumes/wxPython2.8-osx-docs-demos-2.8.3.0-universal10.4-py2.5/Samples/demo/Main.py", line 1798, in ShowMain
    frame = wxPythonDemo(None, "wxPython: (A Demonstration)")
  File "/Volumes/wxPython2.8-osx-docs-demos-2.8.3.0-universal10.4-py2.5/Samples/demo/Main.py", line 1275, in __init__
    self.filter = wx.SearchCtrl(leftPanel)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'SearchCtrl'

I know that this cannot be difficult and I must be overlooking something simple, but I just don't get it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Can you run any wxPython code, even just a small program?

Yes, I can run the programs in the "samples" directory, just not any from the "demo" directory.

Ok, I've figured it out now. It's not working because I'm mixing the versions up. I have wxPython 2.6 installed and am attempting to run the wxPython 2.8 demo. Once the versions are matched, everything is peachy.

great~ enjoy python

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.