Drowzee 3 Posting Whiz in Training

Hello, again.

My time is nearly up on the Ultrasound GUI I've been working on, and I've got one last major feature to implement: continuous capture at a user-selected 1 to 30 frames/second rate.

In the past, I've tried running a loop that would take all the pictures, but for long capture sessions (5000+frames), this causes system slowdown and reduces user control.

So I'm trying to find a way to make the decision to capture or not based on other parts of the code that have to update as well.

The system currently works by displaying a live feed from a Data Translation board in a picture box, which allows me to take single images and store them in a frame buffer for later conversion to .jpg and renaming to fit the capture session.

I am wondering how the live feed is achieved.

I would like to do an override of the picturebox's OnPaint process, to determine if the DT board and software is invalidating the control and repainting it each time new data arrives. If that's the case, then I can certainly 'piggyback' a frame capture function onto the display itself.

But I'm not sure how to do this. I've started trying to add a new inherited control, but I don't think I'm doing it the right way; the compiler (an older version of C#) complains that I have to select the control to inherit from (or something) without giving any means of selecting said control, aside from a browse option.

Any suggestions or tips or how to's for adding an inherited control, if this is at all necessary?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.