can anyone tell me if it is possible in C# to open a file which is located in the same folder as the application without specifying the path to that file?

if both file and program is located for example on C:/containfileandprog can i open the file from within a program without writing C:/containfileandprog but just the filename.dat?

i have no control on where the file or the program is going to be installed so i cant specify them in advance. but i can make sure that they both end up in the same folder where ever the enduser might want to put them.

10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by JOSheaIV

to open a file that's beside your application

Application.StartupPath returns the path where your application starts from

Example to open text file called 1.txt which is beside your .exe

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(Application.StartupPath + "\\1.txt");

if you are doing console, it should work like this:

string _sAppPathName = Process.GetCurrentProcess().MainModule.FileName; 

string _sDataFilePath = _sAppPath.Substring(0, _sAppPath.Length - (_sAppPath.Length - _sAppPath.LastIndexOf(@"\"))) + @"\yourfilename.yourextension";

Unless you're changing the working directory, you could use something like this:

string path = System.IO.Directory.GetCurrentDirectory() + @"\1.txt";
string[] FileContents = System.IO.File.ReadAllLines(path);

Which works in both forms and consoles.

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you simply specify the file name and extension?

I know when I did some earlier coding in C#, since the .exe and saved file were in the same folder, I didn't need to specify a path, but simply the file name.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.