Hi, say I have an app running in the background from startup. Now say I added an option to the explorer context menu to launch the app by right-clicking a file (how would one pass that filename in as a parameter by the way?), I would only want one instance of my application open.

So in the new one that opens, is there a way for it to tell the already open one to call a specific function? And send that filename to it?

I really hope that was clear enough

10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by JerryShaw

I have attached a project that does what you want.
Parameters are passed on the command line. So if you set a File Association with your application, and double click it in the explorer, it will launch you application and pass the filename as a parameter.

The example project determines if your program is already running. If it is, then it will take its command line parameter and send a message to the first instance. Then closes itself. The first instance will receive the message and you can handle the file from that point on.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.