I have spent HOURS looking at this problem, and have absolutely no idea where to begin! I'm not asking for anyone to do it for me, just point me in the right direction PLEASE!

For each of the following problems, use the top-down modular approach
and pseudocode to design a suitable program to solve it.

1. Input names of students from the user, terminated by ZZZ, and
create a data file GRADES with records of the form:
student (string), test1 (integer), test2 (integer), test3 (integer)
In this file, all test scores should be set equal to 0.

2. Display the contents of the file GRADES created in Problem 1.

Each student’s record should appear on a separate line and include
the total score (the sum of the three tests) for that student. For
example, a line of output might be:

R. Abrams 76 84 82 242

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Do you know about user defined types like structs or classes? Do you know about arrays? Do you know about streams that write to and read from files? Do you know what pseudocode is? Do you know how to request user input and accept it into variables? Do you know about functions?

Even if you answer no to the first two questions, you still know enough to start writing pseudocode for this project. Your task may be a little easier if you answer yes to the first two questions.

Take a pencil and piece of paper. Decide what variables you need and what tasks you need to do (some people decide what task they need to do then decide what information, ie variables, they need to do the task, but either way works).

Then expand that information into pseudocode, one task (task is almost synonymous with function) at a time. Then move to the next task.

When all tasks have been written in pseudocode start writing code one task/function at a time testing each task/function to be sure it works before moving to the next one.

Along the way post pertinent questions about what problem you're having with what task. Post pertitent pseudocode/code, within code tags please, with error messages and lines to which the error message relates if available.

Before you know it you'll be done.

You just need a single class named student, it is quite simple, reads file fill in the class instance

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.