hii,,i am using asp.net 2005 and sql server 2005.i hav a insert page thr which i can insert details to a table in the database,,thrs a column called sme_id in the table.....what i want is when a user inserts the sme_id from the webpage,it should check from the table whether tht id exists or not just to avoid duplicate of sme_id,,,,,the code given below is working fine,,i am using sqldatasource for the insert query.....

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConflictDetection="CompareAllValues"
            ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:sme_trackerConnectionString %>" 

InsertCommand="INSERT INTO SME_Master(SME_Id, FirstName, LastName, Type_of_SME, Agency_id, Agency_Name, Email, Address, Phone, Mobile, Fax, TimeZone_Id, Experience, City, State, Status, Level_Of_Exam, Other_Comments, Certificate, Expertise) 
VALUES (@SME_Id, @FirstName, @LastName, @Type_of_SME, @Agency_id, @Agency_Name, @Email, @Address, @Phone, @Mobile, @Fax, @TimeZone_Id, @Experience, @City, @State, @Status, @Level_Of_Exam, @Other_Comments, @Certificate, @Expertise)"

OldValuesParameterFormatString="original_{0}" SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [SME_Master]">

hope u understand what i want,,,,reply as soon as possible,,thnks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

make the id column primary key and identifier. Then regenerate the sqldatasource, it wont insert any duplicate keys

make the id column primary key and identifier. Then regenerate the sqldatasource, it wont insert any duplicate keys

thnks boss,its working,,,but now it has created 1 prob...how to display tht the id already exists,,,coz now if i insert a same id it displays an error page with primary key problem..instead i would lik to display a popup window or a label tht ths id already exists,,,,,
ne idea how to do ths...thnks for the 1st answer

protected void GridView1_RowUpdated(object sender, GridViewUpdatedEventArgs e)
    {
        if(e.Exception != null)
       Label1.Text =e.Exception.Message;
        e.ExceptionHandled = true;
    }

forget about my previous post, if you are making an insert using sqldatasource you can handle the error like this :

protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {

SqlDataSource1.InsertParameters["department"].DefaultValue = TextBox1.Text ;
        try
        {
            SqlDataSource1.Insert();
        }
        catch (Exception ex)
        {
            Label1.Text = ex.Message;
        }
    }

forget about my previous post, if you are making an insert using sqldatasource you can handle the error like this :

protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

SqlDataSource1.InsertParameters["department"].DefaultValue = TextBox1.Text ;
    try
    {
        SqlDataSource1.Insert();
    }
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
        Label1.Text = ex.Message;
    }
}

end quote.

well bro, thnks for ur help..i m using sql datasource and formview, thrs a link button for insert, its an inbuilt feature of formview, i guess so, thn how can i use the code given by u, any solution, pls reply

select the event of formview from properties window's events tabl(opens when flash button is clicked) , double click item inserted event. Create the handler as follows

protected void FormView1_ItemInserted(object sender, FormViewInsertedEventArgs e)
    {
        if(e.Exception != null)

}

select the event of formview from properties window's events tabl(opens when flash button is clicked) , double click item inserted event. Create the handler as follows

protected void FormView1_ItemInserted(object sender, FormViewInsertedEventArgs e)
    {
        if(e.Exception != null)

}

end quote.

wow, thnks man, my prob is finally solvd, thnks 1ce again :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.