animedude123 0 Newbie Poster

Hey,

Scenario:
I'm working on a site and there is a bottom bar that has some things that shouldn't be reloaded when the user is navigating through the site.

Problems
So I could always put the main site in an iframe, but that isn't very good because the url will always be the same. Same problem with using something like Ajax.

The URL needs to change.

My Question
A perfect example of what I'm looking for is facebook. They have their bottom bar that never gets reloaded, and yet the url changes when navigating through the site.

This is exactly what I'm looking to do. I know they use AJAX because when I turn of javascript the bottom bar starts getting reloaded when I change pages.

So how does facebook do it? Or how can I get the same effect? How can I make it so the bottom bar never gets reloaded when navigating through the site, but the url still changes.

From what I can tell, the site is actually being reloaded because when you change pages, the browser will show a little loading sign (I use FF and it shows a loading wheel in browser tab). I do not mean a little ajax loading wheel (One of those little animated gifs).

I'm not worried about people having javascript turned off because I know the people viewing this site will have it turned on.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.