alex_p0pa 0 Newbie Poster

Hello, this is my first post about such things and the reason for this is that i have to make some webparts in asp and i've tried everything but i can't make it work. What i need is a webpart that has a listbox with items generated after i get some info from another application and based on the selected index in the listbox a number of texboxes are generated. I then need to get the value from the texboxes after i click on a button. From what i've read on the interned I have to recreate the same tree of controls on every postback before viewstate loads so i called the control creation method in the OnInit event. The problem is that at that moment i can't retrieve the selected index of the listbox so i know which and how many textboxes to create. I tried to store the selected index in session but the selected index changed event of the listbox fires up after the OnInit method so I always get the selected index in the previous case. This is some of the code, please advise.

This is where i override OnInit so i can recreate the controls on every postback.

protected override void OnInit(EventArgs e)
    {  
        if (this.Page.Session["index"] != null)
        ListBox1.SelectedIndex = (int)this.Page.Session["index"];
        makeCtrls(ListBox1.SelectedIndex + 1);
        base.OnInit(e);
    }

This is the method that creates the textboxes:

public void makeCtrls(int n)
    {
        tbList.Clear();
        for (int i = 0; i < n; i++)
        {
            TextBox t = new TextBox();
            t.ID = n.ToString() + i.ToString();
            t.EnableViewState = true;
            this.Controls.Add(t);
            tbList.Add(t);
        }

}

Method for the listbox:

protected void ListBox1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        makeCtrls(ListBox1.SelectedIndex + 1);
        this.Page.Session["index"] = ListBox1.SelectedIndex;
    }
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.