Hi guys, I'm intending to create an online forum/blog application. An application almost similar to 'daniweb' forums. My question is, what sever set-up is the most suitable for this i.e asp.net (c#, vb), php-mysql, asp-java or any other. Please advice also on how to approach the coding and would even be more grateful if one can include usefull resources with code and more advice.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

Are you sure you want to build one from scratch? Daniweb is built on vBulletin (I think). There are loads of ready-built forum apps out there, with phpbb3 probably the most popular open source version.

If you are determined to go it alone, it doesn't matter which technology you use: asp or php (or even java). You'll probably find more online help for php-related problems. Also, php/MySQL is totally free.

The key element (for my way of thinking) is the db structure. Think of all the possible user interfaces and data to be displayed, methods of data manipulation etc., and build your db accordingly. Security will also be a key issue as well as SEO.

I could suggest downloading phpbb3 and looking at the db/code, but if you're gonna try and copy that, you may as well use it.

Great, let me check the phpbb3 website, I think I know it http://www.phpBB.com.That should be a good start. N hey, tell me more about vBulletin, as a young developer, I've been seeing the term frequently on community forums..
Thanks.

Great, let me check the phpbb3 website, I think I know it http://www.phpBB.com.That should be a good start. N hey, tell me more about 'vBulletin', as a young developer, I've been seeing the term frequently on community forums..
Thanks.

Member Avatar for diafol

vBulletin ain't free. Either you buy a new licence every year or you pay a one-off life membership. $100/year or $180 for life. It ain't cheap. phpbb3 is a good option coz it's got loads of cool mods (add-ons) and styles.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.