de1337ed 0 Newbie Poster

Just two questions that are completely unrelated:
1. (Tough to Explain), But how do I create relational drop down menus? Let's use careers as an example. If someone were a computer engineer. I want them to chose engineer in the first drop down. Then then the second drop down will automatically change to show the subcategories of the first drop down, and it will show Computer, Electrical, Civil etc...
I tried googling, but couldn't figure out the right terminology. Thank you.

2. I never learned ajax/javascript, but can someone point me to a script that continuously reads a text file? and refreshes with the new information? I'm trying to make a simple chat program with django, and the web examples that I looked at were really confusing. The way I was planning to do it is that when two users are connected, a .txt file will be created, and i will have an iframe (or javascript thing), that will keep refreshing the information inside that .txt file as information is passed back and forth. I will be using python (django) to write to the text file. Please tell me what you think of this, and a good way to go about it. Thank you.