Hi, In the HTML forum I asked how I could get the results from a form which I will put on my site via e-mail, I was told:

Give them a form to fill. The form posts to a PHP, ASP, or ASP.NET program that stores the results in the database. You would have a page you could browse to which retrieves and formats this information - no need for any email at all.

I was then told to come to this forum and ask about the basics of PHP form processing.

Any help would be appreciated!
Martin

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Alright, to process a form to a Database is a pretty simple task, however with no experience it's going to be some work. Below is a link I would suggest taking a look at to get started:
http://www.chauy.com/2005/11/php-mysql-tutorial-part-3-inserting-data-into-mysql/

Basically the "jest" of storing form data into a MySQL database as follows:

Create a Database and it's required Tables
Build the Form Section in HTML
Process the Form and store info in MySQL DB
Pull information from database and Display it

If you have any questions, just follow up!

Hi, In the HTML forum I asked how I could get the results from a form which I will put on my site via e-mail, I was told:

I was then told to come to this forum and ask about the basics of PHP form processing.

Any help would be appreciated!
Martin

see i will give example with simple code

this is the html form

<form action="database.php" method="POST">
firsetname"<br>
<input type="text" name="firstname"><br>
last name:
<input type="text" name="lastname"><br>
<input type="submit" value="submit" name="submit">
</form>

now in this code all this information go to the databse

<?
$name=$_POST;
$lastname=$_POST;
$username="your databse username";
$password="your databse password";
$hostname="localhost";
$db=mysql_connect($hostname, $username, $password) or die ("could not connect to database sorry");

$a=mysql_query("insert into tablename(field1,field2)values('$name','$lastname')");

?>

now to retrive the values u have intered is,(i m giving mysql query for this)

<?
$sel=mysql_query("select * from tablename");
$n1=mysql_num_rows($sel);
$i1=0;

while($i1<$n1)
{
$fname=mysql_result($sel,$i1,"field1");
$lname=mysql_result($sel,$i1, "field2");

print $fname;
print $lname;
$i1++;
}

in these code i have given just logic.i hope it may help you.
best of luck

To aarya,

I tried that but I got this error on submitting the form:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /mnt/storage/users/m/a/r/martinkorner/database.php on line 7
could not connect to database sorry

I've probably forgotten to chamge something obvious or sommat like that (but I can't see anything wrong :sad: )

Thanks
Martin

Alright, to process a form to a Database is a pretty simple task, however with no experience it's going to be some work. Below is a link I would suggest taking a look at to get started:
http://www.chauy.com/2005/11/php-mysql-tutorial-part-3-inserting-data-into-mysql/

Basically the "jest" of storing form data into a MySQL database as follows:

Create a Database and it's required Tables
Build the Form Section in HTML
Process the Form and store info in MySQL DB
Pull information from database and Display it

If you have any questions, just follow up!

Thanks, I'll try it.
Martin

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.