Hi Guys / Gals,
First off, if I'm not in the right forum for this question, I apologize. For this question I figured I would ask some seasoned coding professionals :). I do realize that this type of question is not a simple yes / no, but i would just appreciate some sort of guidance or any recommendations.

I would like to know if I "may" qualify for an entry level developement position? And or what's expected in a vb.net entry level posistion.

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.

I have completed 2 years of a Business Information Systems degree (Programming) but had to stop short due to the birth of a child. Now i am looking to get paid for what i am truly passionate about. Programming!

Currently I work full-time as a technical support analyst (I know, I know) and solve complex software / hardware issues. I write SQL queries to provide customers (SQL Server) and I write VB.NET custom apps that interact with JET/Access.

I have a consulting business (on the side) where i write .NET apps. One that i am working on now is a VB.NET front end and SQL Server 2005 backend. I designed / built the DB which consists of about 20 tables etc as well as writining the app code. It manages customers and accounting features for a fire alarm company. It also interacts with Accounting 2008 and Office 2003.

I have a solid understanding of programming(I think :p), classes, functions, VB syntax, etc.

I know this is not a yes / no, but should / could I be applying for entry level dev jobs?

Thank you very much,
Jeff

Well, to be blunt, VB isn't really used a lot for commercial and industry applications, it's more of an academic thing (as in, used by schools to teach programming). So, you should be more concerned with the other .NET languages(there's a lot of them: http://www.dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx ), assuming you wish to stay in the spectrum of .NET.

That said, in general terms, if you're programming front-ends to databases (that work), then you should have the qualifications for an entry-level programmer/developer jobs, if you can find them where you are. Well, assuming you have a firm grasp on OOP methods and can produce OO code, because OOP is pretty much the only thing that developers of computer-based programs want these days (from my experiences, at least.) (the exception to that OOP thing is mobile app development, where excessive OOP can result in too much overhead for a mobile device to take.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.