Group,

In the classes on VB I took were some training on creating Parent and Child Forms. What never was clearly explained is why we would need to use such related forms.

I ask this as I'm now working on a group of forms that will be the "order entry" module. There are three parts: The 1st screen allows the user to choose the customer to bill, define if it's a new order or existing and to decide if it's a cash sale, on-account sale or a credit memo. The second part allows the user to key in the part numbers and enter the quantities. The last one closes the sale and allows monies to be posted if it is a cash sale. Because of the three "related" forms, I began to wonder if this would be an instance where I should have a Parent form and it's two Children.

So, the primary questions are: What is the benefits of using such a related form? Are there negatives to using this? What situations would best warrant the use of a Parent/Child Form?

In advance, thanks for you input. I look forward to your responces.

Don

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What never was clearly explained is why we would need to use such related forms
What is the benefits of using such a related form? Are there negatives to using this? What situations would best warrant the use of a Parent/Child Form?

The Wikipedia article on MDI is a good place to start.

Because of the three "related" forms, I began to wonder if this would be an instance where I should have a Parent form and it's two Children.

I think not. You have a clear sequence of steps, which IMO lends itself better to more of a wizard/assistant style.

Gusano, Thanks for the links and opinion. After reading, I have to agree. At this point, I don't see much use for it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.