A client of mine wants to implement SSL on their site. They have a number of forms which communicate sensitive/personal information, and want to send the data over a secure channel. I've worked with sites that have SSL certificates already, but never actually implemented one myself. The site runs on WordPress, using a custom theme I created. To the questions:

1. Their head of IT says they have a UCC SSL. Is this appropriate for the task? I once purchased an SSL for Magento Go, and I believe it was called an EV SSL, which I imagine is not the same. A quick Google search also seemed to associate UCC with MS servers, not Apache, but I didn't get to dig very deep.
  2. They are hosted on GoDaddy. I imagine GD probably offers SSL solutions. Is this worth it? Would it be cheaper/better to get an SSL elsewhere and use it? Is that even possible?
  3. Most importantly, how do I use the SSL on WP once it's set up? Do I just have to redirect the form and processing pages to https://, or is there something else that needs to be done?

Sorry for the wordiness. Any advice/help is much appreciated.
- EF

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

They have a number of forms which communicate sensitive/personal information, and want to send the data over a secure channel. I've worked with sites that have SSL certificates already, but never actually implemented one myself. The site runs on WordPress, using a custom theme I created. To the questions:

Have post this question in the Wordpress forum?

It's best if you post it there (you will have a nice straight answer and guide from there).

It's their product and platform and Wordpress also have plugins and tutorial.

If this question was not related to Wordpress but a regular website or ecom website then it will be a different approached and you will have different answers and suggestions.

But issue you have is related to a platform Wordpress and I can be honest it's a bit for any member give you a straight answer. It's best if you post this question over there.

Read can this:

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-secure-your-wordpress-pages-with-ssl/

Thanks LastMitch, I haven't tried the WP forum, last time I asked a question there I didn't get any useful answers, so figured I'd try here first.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

Thanks LastMitch, I haven't tried the WP forum, last time I asked a question there I didn't get any useful answers, so figured I'd try here first.

So far there's not much support on here too. I notice that other members not answering a Wordpress issue on Daniweb and it end up not being answer for a few days and I usually end up answering it because I know noone will answer it.

I think it's worth it to have SSL. I also have Godaddy and I also have SSL not for Wordpress or platform it's for my own website which I play around with like learning to intergrate a shopping cart and make sure it's secure and learning api.

If their website is on Godaddy then your client should just used the SSL that Godaddy offer. You have to purchase that. When I purchase my domain and other features which include SSL to get a package. Your cleint might have to revamp their package to include SSL.

I also have an option to have Wordpress but I don't used it.

It shouldn't be that hard to installed. You can look at the link I provided or you can go to Godaddy forum you will find some instructions and tutorials.

That sounds good, thanks. I will tell them to consider the GoDaddy SSL -- I have a feeling the UCC SSL they have will be tough to integrate, if even possible. Thanks for the the article too, very helpful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.