Hi cscgal (and other site administrators),

I recently received a PM from cscgal asking me to fill in an online survey. I was willing to do so, but just before I pressed the Submit button, I wondered if maybe her account had been hacked by a spammer. Does anyone know if this request from cscgal is genuine or not?

Cheers,
darkagn

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

I ignored it. Here's why:

Your response will help us acquire new advertising campaigns

I don't like advertisements, so if my response will result in more ads, I won't respond :)

@Dani:
To be honest, I really didn't like getting this spam in my inbox. If you wanted some input you could've started a thread here or in the geek's lounge. I don't like people PM'ing me for help and I don't really care if that's a newbie or a site-admin. It's even in your own rulebook:

Keep It On The Site

Do not post asking for an answer to be sent to you via email or PM. Problems and their responses assist others who read them. Please do not email or PM forum staff with your support questions.

So pretty please, with sugar on top, don't do it again ;) (or I'll have to add you to my ignore list... :icon_twisted: )

commented: It seems someone is still mad about the code snippety thing ;-) +29
commented: ROFLMAO, Perfect, just perfect! +17
commented: Haha :) +13

That's why I was thinking it was a hack and not Dani herself.

>> It seems someone is still mad about the code snippety thing ;-)

These are two very different cases, trust me. If the "code snippety thing" didn't happen, I would still have posted the exact same comment. I guess it's in my nature to disagree with people ;)

Dani has not been hacked, it was a genuine survey request.

I do try to run these surveys once a year. The reason I send them via PM is because if I were to petition for feedback here, I'd get 10, maybe 20 responses. However, the survey let me easily assemble thousands upon thousands of responses in one place and completely organize them. Unfortunately, there were some technical difficulties, and the PMs went out to everyone with Private Messaging enabled as opposed to being friendly to the option to opt out of messages from the administration (aka the monthly newsletter) as it was in the past.

As far as choosing not to take part in them because they help us land advertisers ... that's just silly :) We're going to have ads either way.

If people take part in the survey, we are able to get well known, quality ads that are highly relevant and targeted to our visitors and therefore charge a premium rate to advertisers who will be able to put appropriate, targeted messages in front of the perfect audience.

If people don't take part in the survey, our advertisers won't know as much about our audience demographics and what type of products would interest our visitors and therefore we'll just have low quality Punch the Monkey style ads that are generic to all untargeted audiences and not be able to get a lot of money for them.

However, we were able to collect over 5,000 responses so far and I've especially immensely enjoyed reading the questions about "What are your favorite features of DaniWeb?" (Over 3,000 responses so far!) and "What could we do to improve DaniWeb in the future?" (Over 2,500 responses so far!)

I take feedback very seriously and was surprised to find that thousands of people all had the exact same things to say. Therefore, work is already halfway underway to address some of your major concerns :) Stay tuned ... that's all I'm going to say for now, but expect some big changes within the week.

I do try to run these surveys once a year. [....] Unfortunately, there were some technical difficulties, and the PMs went out to everyone with Private Messaging enabled as opposed to being friendly to the option to opt out of messages from the administration (aka the monthly newsletter) as it was in the past.

I've been a member for 3 years now, but I've never gotten such a request before? I do receive the monthly newsletter however.

As far as choosing not to take part in them because they help us land advertisers ... that's just silly :) We're going to have ads either way.

I know, I was trying to make a little joke, hence the smily :)

If people take part in the survey, we are able to [.....]

If people don't take part in the survey, our advertisers won't know as much [....]

Yes, yes I know. And although I complained, I actually did take the survey.

I've especially immensely enjoyed reading the questions about "What are your favorite features of DaniWeb?" (Over 3,000 responses so far!) and "What could we do to improve DaniWeb in the future?" (Over 2,500 responses so far!)

Already answered those in my member of the month "interview".

I take feedback very seriously and was surprised to find that thousands of people all had the exact same things to say. Therefore, work is already halfway underway to address some of your major concerns :) Stay tuned ... that's all I'm going to say for now, but expect some big changes within the week.

Ah come on, don't be like that! You know we can't wait an entire week to find out what the changes will be? What should I complain about in this time? ;)

I have never received that PM before either. And I ignored it because most of the questions do not apply to me and there were no appropriate answers for someone like me. I started to fill it out, but quit when I got to the part that asked for personal information.

I opened with some pondering, but the first Q was a little vague.

Company size? Am a teacher, so is that relating to staff numbers, or entire school population??

Personally ignore any ads I see in any of the forums on principle anyhow, as they have nothing to do with why I come here in the first place... sorry

I have never received that PM before either. And I ignored it because most of the questions do not apply to me and there were no appropriate answers for someone like me. I started to fill it out, but quit when I got to the part that asked for personal information.

The part asking for your name and email address is optional and included only to participate in the drawing for a free iPod nano. It won't be shared with anyone.

So what were these changes?

I ended up getting sick and everything was put on hold. Then the project turned into an even bigger project ... which turned into an entire site relaunch. It's been a work in progress for over a month now and we're going live next weekend, Labor Day weekend.

Cool, I can't wait. Are you making release notes?

I have been sharing some information as I go in Area 51 :)

I have been sharing some information as I go in Area 51 :)

I have no access to area 51. I'm not a moderator you know ;)

You don't have to be a moderator. ;) Area 51 is also for sponsors, people who donate $5 to keep the site running. In exchange, one of the benefits is that you get firsthand information to what goes on behind the scenes before everyone else.

I have been sharing some information as I go in Area 51

You don't have to be a moderator. ;) Area 51 is also for sponsors, people who donate $5 to keep the site running. In exchange, one of the benefits is that you get firsthand information to what goes on behind the scenes before everyone else.

Ahh damn, perfect timing for my subscription to end. Not entirely sure why the transaction failed, but I return to England tomorrow after my 3 months holiday in Portugal, and i'll try to sort it out :)

Area 51 is also for sponsors, people who donate $5 to keep the site running. In exchange, one of the benefits is that you get firsthand information to what goes on behind the scenes before everyone else.

Dani, are you spamming me again? :icon_mrgreen:

commented: LOL :-D +29

Area 51 is also for sponsors, people who donate $5 to keep the site running. In exchange, one of the benefits is that you get firsthand information to what goes on behind the scenes before everyone else.

.. and then you will have to be killed. Preferably by a choking on a ninja-pretzel.

Just kidding..:D
Everyone knows that there is no Area 51.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.