Hi, I'm creating a tutorial + repository website where the tutorials are free for the public to look at but the repository is not. However I am developing a login system that I want to sync with daniwebs login system. I have developed a curl system where the user can enter in their password to my site and curl will check if it can log into daniweb but before I go ahead and use it, is there an api for daniweb to check if an account is valid? All I need to know is if the input username and password is valid and if it is valid then how many posts the user has and how many posts per day the user has. I'm not sure if daniweb already has such an api in existence so I thought I would ask.

Thankyou.

Rashakil Fol commented: I am adding positive reputation for this post to undermine the reputation system. +0

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I'm quite sure that the feature is not available in daniweb.. Anyway lets wait for official reply...

All I need to know is if the input username and password is valid and if it is valid then how many posts the user has and how many posts per day the user has. I'm not sure if daniweb already has such an api in existence so I thought I would ask.

I'm 99% sure Daniweb doesn't expose any sort of API to the general audience.

If you plan on writing your own blog sort of thing and want to authenticate user access, you can look into Facebook/Twitter/Gmail based login system using OpenID. E.g. Livejournal which supports Google/Twitter/Facebook etc. for OpenID options.

The website that I am making is intended for the daniweb audience as it is to piece together the missing features that daniweb will never have. I'm designing the login so that each user who has access to the repository on my site (like the sourceforge repository) where the user can use their daniweb login. However for the user to be qualified to login, they will need to have least 20 posts on daniweb and at least 1 post per day on daniweb as found on their profile. I have a curl script that can do the job but I thought I would ask first to make sure there there is no api.

I guess the curl option it is.
Thanks for the confirmation dani.

Hopefully I can code this website together within the next 2 weeks and I'll post a topic about the site when it's available as it will feature video tutorials, text tutorials, interactive examples, member repositories, a custom opensource project cms. I think it will be a big hit.

Isn't daniweb using vBulletin or some other forum framework (something nagging me)? These framework usually have some API...

We use vBulletin, which doesn't have a public API.

Nothing of this usable? (PHP is not my forte)

Nothing of this usable? (PHP is not my forte)

It appears that api is designed for the owner of the vbulletin forum (eg dani) to make modifications/extensions for the forums using the api. However this isn't what I'm after as I don't own daniweb and can't make core changes. The api that I'm after is for to be able to access information from the forum including if an account is valid, how many posts a user has and posts per day a user has which is a different type of api. It's sorta like comparing the localsettings.php and api.php in the mediawiki content management system where I'm after api.php but you have sent the link for how to modify the vbulletin equivelent to localsettings.php Since how vbulletin appears to not feature this, I can work around it by using curl to check if the account is valid or not and receive those details.

May I ask what curl URL you are using to tell whether a member exists or not? I actually can't think of what would work offhand.

May I ask what curl URL you are using to tell whether a member exists or not? I actually can't think of what would work offhand.

I shall pm you the source of my curl script and perhaps you could help fine tune it because currently if one user gets banned then all the users get banned from my website. This is because when one user is banned the server ip is banned hence all users being banned from the website.

Considering user badges have allmost the required information, it could be possible that text version could contain the data you request (or Dani could put them there). Just untested idea.

Considering user badges have allmost the required information, it could be possible that text version could contain the data you request (or Dani could put them there). Just untested idea.

The only thing is that the login system needs to check if the user is still an active member of daniweb as I don't want people just signing up to daniweb and posting the required amount of posts which would probably be poor quality so they can sign in. So what I have done is set it so they need to have so many posts per day in addition to being a long term member of daniweb. The posts per day assures that the user is continually contributing to the community instead of just signing up to the community to access the login I've setup.

Sorry to bump this thread, but DaniWeb currently does have a public API:

Funny how things change from one year to the next.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.