So I have a few concerns about the new Categories after a while of using them and I thought this would be the best way to express them.

I have noticed that it seems to be a little more difficult to navigate the forums and theres a few reasons I believe this.
Issue: Navigation Bar on the homepage doesn't appear when you're in a sub category (must go back to home if you want to choose another category)
Suggestion for Fix: Showing the list on every page could solve this easily.
Issue: I'm not too sure if this is occurring elsewhere, but in the Software Category it seems that since there isn't language specific categories anymore, people are posting the language name in the forum title, sometimes not even putting a basic description (just the language name).
Suggestion for Fix: Maybe adding in a dropdown for the language and displaying this in each post when you're viewing the list would be extremely helpful and clean it up a bit.

I will do some more exploring and see if there is anything else I can suggest.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Issue: Navigation Bar on the homepage doesn't appear when you're in a sub category (must go back to home if you want to choose another category)

There is the blue icon in the top right of every page for the dropdown navigation menu. Is this what you're referring to?

Issue: I'm not too sure if this is occurring elsewhere, but in the Software Category it seems that since there isn't language specific categories anymore, people are posting the language name in the forum title, sometimes not even putting a basic description (just the language name).

We migrated to a tagging system. Can others confirm an influx of people using less accurate titles now?

There is the blue icon in the top right of every page for the dropdown navigation menu. Is this what you're referring to?

I didn't even see this! Yes, that's what I was looking for :)

I think whatever forum you are on people tend not to put a sensible title on their posts. e.g 'Please help' Now that the forum is tagged based it is more obvious. Before if you saw a post in VB5 or 6, for example, wheich was titled 'Please help' then you were fairly sure you new what it was about.

Maybe you can ban words like Please and help in the title ?

I don't think daniweb site can be called a forum anymore, in the classic sense at least. It does not have a forum structure.

commented: I strongly agree. +0

"I don't think daniweb site can be called a forum anymore, in the classic sense at least. It does not have a forum structure."

But don't you think time moves on and changes are almost invitable ? If you think about office blocks, the design and looks have changed over the years, but we still call them office blocks.

What would you call DaniWeb if its not a forum ?

Perhaps we're not a forum in the same sense as one would define a forum ten years ago, but not many of those forums are ranking well on the web anymore. Times change, and it's important to keep up with the trends. Fifteen years ago we labeled ourselves an IT discussion community, and that's still what we are ... and still have the registered trademark to prove it :)

The simplest definition of a forum is "a place for discussion." If DaniWeb doesn't qualify for that then I don't know what would.

Its not a forum anymore, its (another) clone of SO. At least for me......

Whatever you want to call it, the point is that even though the tags are there for languages, people arent using them and are now resorting to posting the language name in the title (which isn't the problem). The problem comes in when the language name is the ONLY thing in the title, or if you're looking for articles of a specific language and people don't state what language they're looking for help on.

I understand non-descriptive titles have always been an issues, but it seems to be a worse problem now.

@dtpp
I have to strongly disagree, and if you just read what Dani wrote and if I understand correctly, DaniWeb has been around A LOT longer than SO. SO was founded 7ish years ago, where DaniWeb was founded 15(?) years ago.

I specifically stated "in the classic sense" I understand the definition of forum.

I would submit that most people even now, when they hear the word "forum" visualize vBulletin, phpBB, Invision IPBoard etcetera.

As for thoughts on new catergories, I'm used to it now and able to navigate easy enough, It's all good.

One thing I'm not particularly fond of is the landing page for a catergory. I can only see three threads on my screen at any one time before needing to scroll, SO is pretty much the same, but I can see five there. On classic forum software I can see ten or fifteen, which is my personal preference.

I would submit that most people even now, when they hear the word "forum" visualize vBulletin, phpBB, Invision IPBoard etcetera.

Not millennials. A lot of college kids and young adults beginning their careers weren't around during the days of phpBB etc. Forum software was super hot back in 2000-2005, and then has been fading away ever since. The young developers we tend to cater to were 10 years old when forum software was hot.

One thing I'm not particularly fond of is the landing page for a catergory. I can only see three threads on my screen at any one time before needing to scroll, SO is pretty much the same, but I can see five there. On classic forum software I can see ten or fifteen, which is my personal preference.

This is because we include the descriptions of articles below each title.

I think the fonts used are touch big - I often CTL - to reduce the size. Other web pages I don't need to do so. If the headings were smaller and the grey bar with number of contributors, etc was half the height we would see more postings.

And what is SO, refered to earlier please ?

And what is SO, refered to earlier please ?

StackOverflow.com

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.