Ok ... enough for me. 5 am is as good enough a time as any to head off to bed. I'll get back to this tomorrow, and most likely will find a different way to do the tooltips ... or something. *yawn*

The queen is right, the effective way to solve this problem is to tamper the data as it is been processed through "tamper data". You will come across the problem in no time. in my opinion the error is logical.

(dani, can you donate through google cart? paypal is my official enemy lol)

Dani, I am using an adblocker along with no script and its just the slow loading pages here, nothing else.

Well, when I visited the site this morning, I got the uresponsive script warning once out of 3 page views (perl forum main page first no problem, then Daniweb community forum main page no problem, then this thread and I got the warning). But there are no javascript errors in the error console so who knows. Hopefully it is a temporary problem.

Sorry for posting that ugly javascript stuff earlier, I will remove it.

Guess I can't edit the post with all the javascript anymore. Any moderator or adminstrator that wants to remove that post or the javascript please feel free to do so.

At school I'm getting similarly slow load times and script timeouts. That's on Firefox 1.5.0.10 on Linux, no add-ons installed.

I'm still getting the unresponsive script warning, seems to happen only in threads, not when viewing forum indexes. Happens about 30 to 40% of the time when viewing a thread. The page just stop dead in it's tracks for a few seconds, can't scroll or anything, and then the warning.

I am getting the warning too, along with the page freezing until the ad finishes loading.

This reminds me of a greedy trick some eBay-er's used a few years ago. They put a script on their page that started an infinite loop until you pushed a buy button. This kept you from leaving the page, unless you bought the item or used the task manager to close the browser. That caused the introduction of the script timer in browsers.

I don't want advertising removed from DaniWeb, but you should have some kind of control to keep the ads from being disruptive. The advertisers should not have the right to take over (and they want to be as disruptive as possible, so you read the ad).

It is taking me twice as long to read each topic.

It is definitely the GlobalSpec ad.

I have the hourglass instead of the cursor pointer until this ends.

Also, the page is always loading. It never shuts off the rotating dots.

That means my download quota is being used up. GET RID OF THAT AD SERVICE!!!!!

I got the warning and the was no globalspec ad displayed on the page.

Now I'm getting it everytime I view a page in a thread, and when I click "continue" I sometimes get the warning a second time. I guess I'll check in with daniweb in a few days and see if the problem has cleared up because this is too frustrating.

hi how do you do?Can i help you with computer adwice?

I've temporarily disabled the curved corners to see if this is, indeed, the problem. Can everyone please confirm that things are running speedy now? This way I'll know it's definitely due to these rounded corners.

It does seem to be going a lot faster today

As of when, specifically? (I've changed lots of things today)

Oh, good point. As of about 10 minutes before my post, although I hadn't been on the site for a few hours before that. But it's pretty zippy now :)

Cool ...

Would like feedback from those who were getting JS errors as to whether there are still popup errors and hanging.

TIA.

I am no longer getting the JS warning. That seems to be it. I did notice right after I would click the "stop script" button the rounded corners would pop into the display, but I never assosicated them with the problem.

Haven't received any JavaScript errors, ever. I haven't noticed any difference in the speed of DaniWeb, and I'm using Firefox 2.0 with Adblock.

I am no longer getting the JS warning. That seems to be it. I did notice right after I would click the "stop script" button the rounded corners would pop into the display, but I never assosicated them with the problem.

Now that I know what is causing the problem, I need to find a workaround to it.

Can you check out this page (the homepage for the script I'm using) and let me know if their demo is giving you the same JS bug:
http://methvin.com/jquery/jq-corner.html

Thanks!

The demo is not giving my browser any problems.

And are you getting errors on DaniWeb right now? :)

No errors, but there is a bit of an annoying delay while the browser seems to be calculating those rounded corners. That could be because this computer I use for surfing the internet is an old 800mhz windows98 system.

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news first. I figured out that your browser was hanging because I forgot a semicolon at the end of the line of javascript. Now the bad news. I pulled an allnighter and spent the past 24 hours looking at javascript all because I forgot a semicolon at the end of the line.

OK, well maybe that wasn't just it. I also got rid of some of the rounded corners (ie around the postbits) so it should be friendlier for slower computers.

> old 800mhz windows98 system
Eww.

> I figured out that your browser was hanging because I forgot a semicolon at the end of the line of javascript.

AFAIK, as long as each statement is on a separate line, the semicolons are not mandatory.

That's what I thought too. But apparently Kevin's Windows 98 machine wanted that semi-colon.

Windows 98? Perhaps that should be trashed.. And linux installed instead =)

..how come the smilies still don't work for me =(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.