there was popups?

I marvel to my inability to keep this post strictly sober. Perhaps is due to the fact I can't take seriously any writing where a “thesis” contains the word “crap” several times. Moreover, my thoughts continue to divagate: Why green, shouldn't be of a more “brownish” shade since you favor “crap” in so many diverse terms?

This quote has been nagging at me for quit a while and I finally figured out why. You could not attack my thesis so you picked out the word 'crap'. I had hoped that I could get a good discussion out of you but you got nothing.

commented: Perhaps your thesis is crap? -3
commented: aia is just another jwenting +4

After Bush's lipservice 3 years ago to build more nuclear powerplants in the US, and congress donating $18 billion of taxpayers' money to the cause, not a single nuclear powerplant has even made it through the planning stage.

The main reason, none of the wall street investors are interested in risking the money.

Once past the planning stage and approved by the nuclear regulators, it still takes up to 10 years to complete construction. Looks like nuclear power is not the solution.

I wonder if the environmental regulations stand in the way of investors thinking they'll ever see a completed and operational plant?

I wonder if it might not be liability worries.
If all the energy it takes to build and maintain a nuclear power plant were just used to produce energy, it would just about be a break-even thing. Then there is the idea that Nuke power does not contribute to global warming - this is a joke, those iconic cooling towers are 'cooling towers' they put heat into the atmosphere.

<<look at me - I go out for a couple of beers with DW and I come back here and rant>>

The last completed nuclear power plant in the US was TVA's Watts Bar 1, it was started in 1973 and took 23 years to complete with massive cost overruns.

Investor Warren Buffet wanted to build a nuclear power plant in Payette, Idaho. However his financial experts ran the numbers and could not make economic sense of it.

The guy next door is a retired Airforce officer, his black Hummer has this bumper sticker:
"We don't drop boms to kill, we drop bombs to stay alive."

A road side sign by a road side sign agency:
"A BUSINESS WITH NO SIGN IS A SIGN OF NO BUSINESS"

This quote by Winston Churchill could be one good hint for George Bush:
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."

Just came across this thread. The only surprising thing is that no one has tried to tie the subject to an oxymoron. We Americans are not liked in some parts of the world even though the U.S. does more than any other nation to feed the poor, heal the sick, etc.

Back on topic, does anyone else see parallels between Bush and Reagan. Trickle down theory/tax cuts for the rich yielding a recession, popularity sinking to the mid 30s, somewhere in space most of the time, advisors making the decisions, out of touch with the people. In Reagan's case, his advisors convinced him to cut back on programs favoring the rich (campaign contributors) and between that and actions by the Federal Reserve, the economy recovered. We'll have to see what happens this time. Also, both were elected in a year divisible by 20. Reagan was the first President not to die in office, although I haven't checked the history personally, and Bush is still alive. I wish no one any bad circumstances though.

Just came across this thread. The only surprising thing is that no one has tried to tie the subject to an oxymoron. We Americans are not liked in some parts of the world even though the U.S. does more than any other nation to feed the poor,

Of the 21 wealthiest countries in the world, only Greece, Italy, New Zealand, Portugal, and Spain give less per capita than the US

heal the sick, etc.

Cuba sends out medical doctors like the Mormans send out missionaries.

Back on topic, does anyone else see parallels between Bush and Reagan. Trickle down theory/tax cuts for the rich yielding a recession, popularity sinking to the mid 30s, somewhere in space most of the time, advisors making the decisions, out of touch with the people. In Reagan's case, his advisors convinced him to cut back on programs favoring the rich (campaign contributors) and between that and actions by the Federal Reserve, the economy recovered. We'll have to see what happens this time. Also, both were elected in a year divisible by 20. Reagan was the first President not to die in office,

Please explain what the above phrase means -- is there a code or a word missing?

although I haven't checked the history personally, and Bush is still alive. I wish no one any bad circumstances though.

There seems to be some connective themes missing that might, somehow tie that paragraph together.

Of the 43 pres - only 8 died in office.

In context, the post read "Also, both were elected in a year divisible by 20. Reagan was the first President not to die in office" A link to a story about the 20 year Presidential curse. This is too far out there to really be believed IMHO, but is still common to both. http://www.snopes.com/history/american/curse.asp

As to aid to other countries, total dollar amount does not equal aid delivered. Programs like micro-loans, organizations like plenty.org, the Lyons Club recycling glasses, the Peace Corp, and even the one laptop per child project, even thought it hasn't been as successful as projected, are more along the lines of actual aid in that it permanently changes peoples lives for the better. And doesn't have a political motive as may be the case with Cuban doctors. It's the old saw about feeding someone for a day or teaching them to feed themselves.

How not to get elected:

I never give my constituents hell. I just tell the truth, and they think it is hell.
-- Harry S. Truman

In context, the post read "Also, both were elected in a year divisible by 20. Reagan was the first President not to die in office" A link to a story about the 20 year Presidential curse. This is too far out there to really be believed IMHO, but is still common to both. http://www.snopes.com/history/american/curse.asp

Ah, that should have been a semi-colon after '20' to tie the 2 sentences together - I had heard that legend before back when Reagan was shot, then forgot all about it.

countries, total dollar amount does not equal aid delivered. Programs like micro-loans, organizations like plenty.org, the Lyons Club recycling glasses, the Peace Corp, and even the one laptop per child project, even thought it hasn't been as successful as projected, are more along the lines of actual aid in that it permanently changes peoples lives for the better. And doesn't have a political motive as may be the case with Cuban doctors. It's the old saw about feeding someone for a day or teaching them to feed themselves.

Aid given |= aid received - only too true. I mis-read your original comment:

We Americans are not liked in some parts of the world even though the U.S. does more than any other nation to feed the poor, heal the sick, etc.

to mean the government. Generally, Americans are liked for who we are but our government is disliked.
I think microloans are a great idea (with some downside) - I also like the 'appropriate technology' approach such as the merry-go-round designed for kids play on that pumps water - what a great way to put all that energy to use. - hand-crank radios, communal composting units that also produce methane piped for cooking fires, this sort of thing

Unfortunately it's the World Bank that has used its heavy handed bureaucrats and their procedures to do much damage in the underdeveloped countries. The World Bank is closely associated with America (for instance past bank president Paul Wolfowoitz, architect of the Iraq war), hence the hatred.

Shortly after Thomas Jefferson took office, he wrote the following about George Washington:
"Though an able commander, I presume the General knows little of diplomacy and tact. His manner is often rude and his mood is quite unstable."

Shortly after Thomas Jefferson took office, he wrote the following about George Washington:
"Though an able commander, I presume the General knows little of diplomacy and tact. His manner is often rude and his mood is quite unstable."

Even though he only made it up to the rank of captain, you could say the same thiing about John McCain.

Judging from the steep increase in the price of milk, US dairy cows have joined OPEC.

It's the new petro-cow; back when oil was around $20 a barrel, someone got the bright idea to wean cattle off of grass and put them directly on oil (much more efficient than wasting all that fuel hauling hay and feed around) - so now the cheap oil has reached out to byte our butts again, in new and different ways.

According to a recent Pew Research Center poll, the US Congress has a remarkable 41% approval rating amongst voters.

Aw, come on guys! I thought petro-cows was brilliant - well, at least worth a chuckle! Has the high price of gas damaged your sense of humor?

Hmm, you are not too far off GrimJack, here is the solution to our energy crisis from our fearless leader George W. Bush:
"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods."

Taxation with representation isn't so hot either!

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what she's talking about.

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what she's talking about.

Strangely enough, in America the people that talk the most know the least.

Strangely enough, in America the people that talk the most know the least.

That is imaginably that way world wide.

P. J. O'Rourke wrote:
"America wasn't founded so that we could all be better. America was founded so we could all be anything we damned well pleased."

Actually, he wrote that after visiting France.

America was founded so we could oppress people with our religion - the oppressors in Europe would not let us practice there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.