Hey, I just need a little advice. I currently host 3 different sites with Globat.com. I've been with them for about 5 years, and have really liked them. Uptime is good, support is ok, and the value is unbeatable. More space and bandwidth than I know what to do with.

The problem I think lies with their database support. Only recently (within the last year) I have converted 2 of my sites to the Wordpress blogging software. It's perfect for my sites, and I love the options it offers. And it's free! It relies heavily on a well-running MySql database, and Globat seems to be suffering in that area. My wordpress sites load extremely slow, if ever at all! I submit support tickets, and they get it fixed, and it works for a day or two, then goes back to it's old ways.

So my question to you is this. If I switch web hosts, will I have similar problems with my database-driven sites? Is there a host out there known for good database support? I've wanted to try Bluehost, because they're also cheap, and I've heard good things about them. But I just don't know.

Then, if I do switch webhosts, I wonder how hard it is to move all my data! Databases, media files and such. Just hope it would go smoothly!

So what are your thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Lots of webhosts suffer from bad database support (too few database servers compared to what their customers needs demand).

I don't have any suggestion but I would review the ones that impose limits on their database usage.

And a hint:
Try to visit their forums and check out some of the customers website for response times

Good info, thanks for the reply. By reviewing the ones that impose limits on their database usage, you mean that those would be the better ones? That makes sense. With Globat, you pretty much have unlimited databases, which is nice, but perhaps their databases suffer because of it?

Yes that is what my common sense tells me,

but spying on some of the customer's websites (getting hosting from a particular host that you might be interest it in) will probably more valuable than anything else ....

with relation to moving data

it all depends on access. If you can get access via telnet or a GUI like phpmyadmin or cpanel, you can make use of MySQLs built in backup commands such as "dump"

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysqldump.html

Yeah, I do have access to phpmyadmin. So I think moving most of my data and databases shouldn't be too hard.

Good info, thanks for the reply. By reviewing the ones that impose limits on their database usage, you mean that those would be the better ones? That makes sense. With Globat, you pretty much have unlimited databases, which is nice, but perhaps their databases suffer because of it?

Even their is no way to provide unlimited databases. It's simply based upon resourced on your account. I would recommend searching for a web host who can meet the needs of your websites. Simply moving databases are not hard. Just my 2 cents.

Iam with Host Gator, try it, they give you money back. take for one month as there are no commitments and you host a test site for a month. I would say they are the best bet as i did lot of research before choosing them.

Iam with Host Gator, try it, they give you money back. take for one month as there are no commitments and you host a test site for a month. I would say they are the best bet as i did lot of research before choosing them.

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Yes that is what my common sense tells me,

but spying on some of the customer's websites (getting hosting from a particular host that you might be interest it in) will probably more valuable than anything else ....

Hi,
I am a 22, a Ghanaian and wan t to know nore about web designing. Hope you can be of help? Thank you and ear from as soon as you can reply to this message

What do you want to learn about web designing? Read some dev article on my site www.coderewind.com

Well, I host 5 sites on bluehost and it work very well. Actually I don't have any complain with it. It's almost perfect!

Click here to visit bluehost !

hopefully it's helpful !

Well, I host 5 sites on bluehost and it work very well. Actually I don't have any complain with it. It's almost perfect!

Click here to visit bluehost !

hopefully it's helpful !

That is very helpful actually, because I've been thinking about bluehost. A friend of mine has hosting with them, but was unable to get a wordpress site working. So he let me play around on it, and I'm having trouble as well. I've set up a number of wordpress sites with globat, so I know how to do it, but when I try with blue host, I keep getting the error establishing database connection. Is there something funky you have to do with bluehost? This would be good to try out right now, seeing as I have a little space to play around with on a bluehost account.

Hey, maybe it's your charset configuration problem! Actually in Fantastico Tool on Bluehost, It has integrated Wordpress, So it should support it entirely!

Cool thanks! I'll look into it.

1 Word and that would be Lunarpages with out a doubt, the cheapest most reliable web host ever, even the dedicated servers are awesome value..!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.