just wondering.

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

just wondering.

I actually don't understand your question at all.
I guess question has nothing to do with PHP and it should rather be in the Geeks Lounge (correct me if I'm wrong).

Actually, I would agree. Moving...

I read the manual at php.net all the time. Just in case your wondering why it is because I like to try and find what I think is the best functions for the job. So that is one user that reads the manual before posting. -_-
Next...

I read the manual at php.net all the time. Just in case your wondering why it is because I like to try and find what I think is the best functions for the job. So that is one user that reads the manual before posting. -_-
Next...

wow one user out of many I thought I was the only one. I was reading through the php forum and about 90% of the questions are blatantly outlined in the manual
and yes cwarn23 PYTHON was named after monty python RTF python manual lol.

I've found that Python has excellent documentation, followed by PHP. The Windows APIs are well documented as well. Once you get accustomed to programming with any of those, you can get quite far on your own by reading their respective manuals.

I've found that Python has excellent documentation, followed by PHP. The Windows APIs are well documented as well. Once you get accustomed to programming with any of those, you can get quite far on your own by reading their respective manuals.

That being said I haven't seen any decent documentation for Java. (Not javascript) At least nothing sorted like the php documentation.

That being said I haven't seen any decent documentation for Java. (Not javascript) At least nothing sorted like the php documentation.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/
The about 3500 classes of Java 5.0 are covered in here.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/
The about 3500 classes of Java 5.0 are covered in here.

I've seen that one and it is so hard to browse with poor descriptions. If that's the best on the web then somebody really needs to document that language in much greater detail like how the php documentation has those huge pages for each function.

I've seen that one and it is so hard to browse with poor descriptions. If that's the best on the web then somebody really needs to document that language in much greater detail like how the php documentation has those huge pages for each function.

Well, that one (the API document) is clear enough for me, once you know what a class does, you can easily figure out what a certain method does, and how to use it.
Of course it assumes that you understand the Java language, that's the price of admission you have to pay.
It's even well structured: you first select the desired package, then you select your desired class, and after that you can see a whole list of methods belonging to that class (with an accompanying description).
You have to keep in mind that the intent of that document is rather for programmers (people who already know the language) than newbies (people who only know tad bits of the language).

I don't ask too many questions, in part because I try to RTFM.

Often my first place to search is comp.lang.c or comp.lang.c++: for example; sometimes I even add an author to the search: Torek is a favorite.

I also check out the man pages for particular functions (via web search on my Windows boxes). I have a copy of C99 and know a reference to a C89 draft (and other C standards). MSDN I find difficult to search from the MSDN, and generally prefer to use Google. Dinkumware is generally where I start for C++ standard function questions. [edit]Oh, and c-faq.com and the C++ FAQ LITE are pretty dogeared by me as well. I've probably missed some other STFW things I normally do.[/edit]

I also search forums such as Cprogramming.com, Daniweb and DevShed. In part this is because I have some sort of recollection of a particular thread or a person's post.

If it comes to the point that I actually do post a question, I try to post (in code tags :icon_cheesygrin:) a compilable snippet of code demonstrating the issue.

/FWIW

I don't ask too many questions, in part because I try to RTFM.

If your trying to read the c++ manual then where is the c++ manual or is cplusplus.com it.

If your trying to read the c++ manual then where is the c++ manual or is cplusplus.com it.

There really is no one physical manual any more, to RTFM is sort of an archaic term. 20 years ago Microsoft used to ship all the manuals with their compiler. But they stopped doing that when the internet became so popular, which probably saved them millions of dollars in publishing costs.

You can find info about c++ everywhere -- on the net by searching for the function you want, such as if you are looking for ifstream just google for "std::ifstream". Or you can find lots of books at www.amazon.com. Or you can buy a copy of the c++ iso standards

A fair portion of the population have yet to figure out what 'R' means, never mind the rest of it.

A fair portion of the population have yet to figure out what 'R' means, never mind the rest of it.

I suspect many barly know how to turn on the computer too, let alone what google is :icon_eek:

I suspect many barly know how to turn on the computer too, let alone what google is :icon_eek:

Which reminds me: XKCD made this a few days back, which I found very handy. So I mailed it to all the people who constantly asked me questions about computers. The next day I got all kinds of questions asking how to save it, how to print it, why the printer didn't work or why the picture came out of the completely wrong :(

commented: So true :) +21
commented: :D +13
commented: Great stuff +36

This is the answer for all your family needs:
Guru

This is the answer for all your family needs:
Guru

Read the post above yours very carefully Grim ;)

I think he was refering to the post before that. So he should of had the following quote in his post.

Which reminds me: XKCD made this a few days back, which I found very handy. So I mailed it to all the people who constantly asked me questions about computers. The next day I got all kinds of questions asking how to save it, how to print it, why the printer didn't work or why the picture came out of the completely wrong

Probably find somebody posted while he was typing. Happens to me all the time. Would be nice if the browser lets you know if any new posts have been submitted before you submit the post. Or at least only when somebody else has posted before you.

Well he posted the exact same pic as I did, only 1 day later. So he could've seen my post :icon_wink:

Well he posted the exact same pic as I did, only 1 day later. So he could've seen my post :icon_wink:

I didn't realise this was about pictures. I better click the link then
Wow that's the picture your talking about. lol

Great minds....

I read the comic and went to the bottom of the thread, thinking I was up to date - who knew anyone else had my exquisite taste in comics??!!

commented: Amazingsuperpowers also rocks :) +28
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.