I wish I had a programming class in high school.

So do I -- but they didn't offer it in 1958 :)

I wish I had a programming class in high school.

I wish I didn't, it's frustrating when you know you should be teaching the teacher how to program.

So do I -- but they didn't offer it in 1958 :)

LOL :)
But I graduated high school in 2007, though.
Still no love for the comp sci hopefuls in your typical catholic high school.

I wish I didn't, it's frustrating when you know you should be teaching the teacher how to program.

It's really great how someone as young as yourself has been able to become such a skilled programmer. I should have tried to learn while I was younger as well. Only thing is I didn't decide on taking up computer science until I was a senior in high school. Before that I was going to be an english major :zzz:
I'm so glad I decided in favor of comp sci.

Well, I was lucky enough to have a taiwanese friend introduce me to Flash around the age of 11. Then I figured out a bit of AS2 and bought myself a few books, I actually still use it alot, here's a few examples of stuff I made: Spirograph maker, Spiral maker, Command Drawer (actually quite similar to MSLogo) and Organised Chaos. Then I decided I wanted to try something a bit more powerful, that's when I started using C++ and got interested in the Windows API mainly.

I guess I was quite fortunate to have started young, even made myself quite a bit of money from it here and there :icon_cool:

Don't think that you need a teacher to learn programming, I'm totally self taught, meaning I can go at my own pace. If you do the same, you'll probably find yourself going at a faster pace than in school.

Yeah my dad taught me VB when i was like 10/11. He also taught me how to build pcs etc... at a similar age. That was cool, it got me into programming and fixing computers.

Don't think that you need a teacher to learn programming, I'm totally self taught, meaning I can go at my own pace. If you do the same, you'll probably find yourself going at a faster pace than in school.

Thanks for the words of encouragement William. I've gotten quite good at C++ and Java by continuing myself after learning in school. I always wanted to learn Flash but never did. Maybe I will try during the winter break from school. I'm a little preoccupied with C and Linux now. ;)

If you do want to start flash, I can recommend some excellent books for you. Forgot the name of the first one I started with, but if you're into the advanced maths and game designing, this is by far the best i've tried. [link] (I actually used the AS2 version, but I'm guessing you would rather use the most up-to-date version)

It's very fun, flexible, and easy to learn.

Thanks alot William. I have a few questions if you don't mind. First, does the book come with a CD that includes a program in which to create flash projects. If not, is there one available for download online (preferably for free :) ) Secondly, I've never done anything graphical before. Will I still be able to learn effectively from your recommended book? Lastly, do you happen to know roughly how much that book costs in American currency? Thanks again.

It would be part of Basic in the poll.

So visual basic uses the Basic language. The same language Microsoft wrote their first dos operating system in. Wow. Never realized the history behind that! I guess Microsoft was a bit slack at writing a programming interface in the early 1990's. Instead judging by what you say, Microsoft just gave the user a copy of the tools Microsoft used. Very interesting though. Before reading your post I thought Basic was done on a teletype (i think) machine with punch cards to make slots in paper. Didn't realize that Basic had been imported as a digital language.

First, does the book come with a CD that includes a program in which to create flash projects.

You will have to get that yourself, as far as I know there's a few different programs you can use such as Adobe Flash CS2/CS3 or Adobe Flex 2/3. I've seen the difference between AS2 and AS3, I still use AS2 and it's very easy to use, AS3 in comparison looks very excessive and hard but it's supposed to be much more powerful, so the choice is yours. I was given Macromedia Flash 8 free in highschool, and i'm still most comfortable with it :)

I'm not sure how easy it is to get it for free, you can probably still find Macromedia Flash 8 somewhere on the internet, but it uses AS2.

I've never done anything graphical before. Will I still be able to learn effectively from your recommended book?

Maybe do a few tutorials on the net first, and you will be ready for the book, it should be a nice change if you've never done anything graphical before.

I actually think having a Flash forum on Daniweb would be a great idea, it's a very popular language and I would for sure post there alot :P

do you happen to know roughly how much that book costs in American currency?

Simply change the .co.uk to .com, and you're done. [link]

commented: Thanks for the info. +0

So visual basic uses the Basic language. The same language Microsoft wrote their first dos operating system in. Wow. Never realized the history behind that! I guess Microsoft was a bit slack at writing a programming interface in the early 1990's. Instead judging by what you say, Microsoft just gave the user a copy of the tools Microsoft used. Very interesting though. Before reading your post I thought Basic was done on a teletype (i think) machine with punch cards to make slots in paper. Didn't realize that Basic had been imported as a digital language.

The first Microsoft DOS was not written in Basic, it had a Basic interpreter included (a pet project of Bill Gates then).

The first Microsoft DOS was not written in Basic, it had a Basic interpreter included (a pet project of Bill Gates then).

If the first Microsoft DOS was not written in Basic then what language was it really written in? Where punch cards still used for Bill to write the first MS operating system.

If the first Microsoft DOS was not written in Basic then what language was it really written in? Where punch cards still used for Bill to write the first MS operating system.

It assume it to be written in a mix of C and Assemb ly code

It assume it to be written in a mix of C and Assemb ly code

I think this is correct, because as my father explained to me, in those days C compilers had the inline assembly language option. This allowed access to the very low levels of the computer chips.

I think this is correct, because as my father explained to me, in those days C compilers had the inline assembly language option. This allowed access to the very low levels of the computer chips.

C still has an inline asm option

And nearly all OSes use asm code for the bootstrapping phase (NTLDR is one if the few areas on windows NT which is not easialy portable, due to the fact it makes use of assemlbey code for the initial boot phase)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I'd definitely like to get more into python.

I only ever used it once to use one of their excel to csv conversion scripts which was mega easy to code. Plus you can turn the script into a stand alone exe (plus a couple of dll etc) which is sweet.

I just never really liked the syntax and strict indentation.

I'll go for Java ( easy to identify errors when coding ) I'll leave Assembly for focusing with Java :lol: ( reason of unintelligent n' lazy student ). Anyways, I am new to Java programming this school year.

commented: leaving assembly? oh you're actually losing the particle of a techno magnum opus ^.^ +0

Java, because since I am already reasonably good at it, I'd like to become expert.

Seems like it is almost a tie between Java and Python and I like Java too although I'm still a noob to Java. But with the Netbeans IDE the interface is easy with drag n drop elements which makes it a lot easier.

I voted other since there is no PHP option...

I know enough C++ to get me by, but PHP is the language I prefer and there is always something new to learn :)

Though i chose python because that is one of the languages i would like to learn but right now i am teaching myself how to Java.
PS - Why was VB 6 not included, i tried it once and i think it is easier.

Though i chose python because that is one of the languages i would like to learn but right now i am teaching myself how to Java.
PS - Why was VB 6 not included, i tried it once and i think it is easier.

BASIC means all forms of basic.

C++ and Java, I learnt these two well!

h*ll ye.. Java of course, can I take this to mean?^.^

I will love to learn Java.Its my favourite language to learn.It was my dream from last 8 months to learn it.

Java will be my choice!

Scala rules, Java drools.

Interesting poll results so far. The thread hasn't broken out in all out language wars. Looks like most people are voting for the language they know best, or have to use in school or in their jobs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.