Just wondering what other programmer do in their free time.

This is basically what I do in my free time :

1) Procrastinate ( of course )
2) Try to learn more things about programming
3) Practice programing
4) Play NBA2k9 and/or Call of Duty : modern warfare 2 (awesome games)
5) Chill with friends and laugh at stupid things
6) Maybe do some school work.

Recommended Answers

All 32 Replies

Just wondering what other programmer do in their free time.

Well in my free time I program all sorts of things. One of my latests projects that I have done is a dehasher. The more cpu you have the more you can dehash in shorter time. A project I am working on is a programming community dedicated to gamemaker (gml). Hopefully will be finished by the time gamemaker 8 is released.

And most importantly in my free time I like to help out on daniweb.

In my free time I kick puppies and shoot kids with a paintball gun.

commented: awesome +0
commented: I knew it! :p +0

Mess about, generally with VMs, experimenting with both MS and open technologies.

Play games - generally lan with friends - Age of empires 2, Unreal tournamenent etc..

Watch iPlayer

Listen to music.

Code for my coursework.

In my free time I kick puppies and shoot kids with a paintball gun.

Sounds like a good hobby? Is there a team to join for this sort of
stuff.

1) mostly work, not much free time for much else thanks to taking an extra A-level
2) something arty, i do love photography - though i'm currently lacking a camera until christmas :P
3) Go iceskating whenever I can, or an icehockey session whenever there's one on
4) Coding, only really do C/C++ and Flash Actionscript 2, but you can see here. [link]
5) Be with friends
6) Read books and magazines

Play games - generally lan with friends - Age of empires 2, Unreal tournamenent etc..

Age of empires is a great classic, still have it :) haven't played it since I was about 12 though.

1) mostly work, not much free time for much else thanks to taking an extra A-level
2) something arty, i do love photography - though i'm currently lacking a camera until christmas :P
3) Go iceskating whenever I can, or an icehockey session whenever there's one on
4) Coding, only really do C/C++ and Flash Actionscript 2, but you can see here. [link]
5) Be with friends
6) Read books and magazines

Age of empires is a great classic, still have it :) haven't played it since I was about 12 though.

Age of Empires 2 - That's one of my favorite games too. I don't think the Microsoft Zone is running though so unfortunately we can't vs each other in Age of Empires 2. :( That's a shame.

I guess there's always age of mythology, I played that on lan against my brother a couple years back, that was pretty great :)

In my free time, I:

• attend live soccer matches
  • Listen to music
  • Sleep
  • Solve algorithmic problems

I just realized I don't play computer games like most programmers do, maybe it's time I should move away from the linux console

Free time, what's that? :)

OK, I get even more tattoos, drink beer (real ale only, Spitfire and Betty Stoggs mainly), listen to music and go to gigs (rock/metal/goth stuff mainly), lust after motorbikes I can't afford and spend time with my family (4 kids, 2 grandkids) - oops, nearly forgot to mention that I support Leicester Tigers Rugby Club and go watch them whenever I can.

real ale only, Spitfire and Betty Stoggs mainly

yes, spitfire is good. Bombardier is good too, as is Fullers and TEA.

I game, (try to) make games, watch hockey, skateboard, and pretty much do too much other stuff which drastically reduces the time I have to do anything. I don't know if that made sense.

Well for me in my free time i just love to listen music. I just love music.

SNIP

3) Practice programing

SNIP

3) Practice programing

Cool we have so much in common. Only if you were a girl.

well
Skateboarding,
Football(Soccer),
Programming,
go out with friends
and of course my precious PS3.

I went out and got myself a job - yep! my 13 months of unemployment are finally over.

Congrats, Jack =) What kinda job?

I was told it is safest to just say "I work for the Treasury Department" so i don't scare anyone away - I am going to be a customer service rep for the IRS.

In my free time i would like to go for my old friends. They are my best friends.

In my free time i would like to go for my old friends. They are my best friends.

And don't forget to mention that you like to spam your signature-links in your free time! It appears to be quite a hobby of you :icon_frown:

I've recently taken to designing board games in my spare time. It seems like the only project I can actually complete without spending gobs of time looking for people to help just to have them bail anyway.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

-listening to music...
-going out...drinking and meeting ppl.
-gym...eating healthy...boxing.
-Thinking bout AI...if I had all the time in the world i'd do this...after my love of history...
-Testing render engines...(don't know why i like this)
-Flash and actionscript 3.0.

-listening to music...
-going out...drinking and meeting ppl.
-gym...eating healthy...boxing.
-Thinking bout AI...if I had all the time in the world i'd do this...after my love of history...
-Testing render engines...(don't know why i like this)

I hope you don't take offense to this, but I hate history. I find it
boring and useless for me, at least. I am surprised that a CSE-er finds history intriguing, unless its the history related to CSE-ish things.

I hope you don't take offense to this, but I hate history. I find it
boring and useless for me, at least. I am surprised that a CSE-er finds history intriguing, unless its the history related to CSE-ish things.

Ha ha, no offence taken. We all have different likes and dis-likes.

I'm not really a CSE-er anyway, if at all. It's purely a passing interest. So to be honest the last three points in that list are really, things I USED to like doing. Ha ha.

Points 2 and 3 occupy most of my time at the mo.

I still use AS2, is it worth learning AS3 now? So far I've hardly seen something made with AS3 which can't be made with AS2, but I wouldn't mind learning a new language if it's good enough.

I still use AS2, is it worth learning AS3 now? So far I've hardly seen something made with AS3 which can't be made with AS2, but I wouldn't mind learning a new language if it's good enough.

Alright there mate.

I would definitely consider learning AS3. Fortunately for me I learned AS3 first so I won't have to unlearn any AS2, which is probably what you would have to do.

AS3 is considered a lot like other object orientated languages.

Plus the 3D stuff you can do outweighs all the cons...

Have you ever used stuff like papervision 3d? That's a whole heap of fun.

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/

Has a whole heap of vids for you to look at.

You can download cs4 trial for 30 days but it ain't cheap like...

Alright there mate.

I would definitely consider learning AS3. Fortunately for me I learned AS3 first so I won't have to unlearn any AS2, which is probably what you would have to do.

AS3 is considered a lot like other object orientated languages.

Plus the 3D stuff you can do outweighs all the cons...

Have you ever used stuff like papervision 3d? That's a whole heap of fun.

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/

Has a whole heap of vids for you to look at.

You can download cs4 trial for 30 days but it ain't cheap like...

Okay, cool :icon_razz:

In a way that gives me an advantage, I don't think I have to 'unlearn' much, I've been doing it for years, and probably will continue with it, but that wont stop me from trying a newer version.

Out of curiosity, have you uploaded anything you've made? And if you're interested [link] :P

I'll check out the site, seems good, thanks.

commented: nice work +0

Serf on internet.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.