Start thinking about the things you use to do before you ever knew about programming and now think about how you changed that as a result of programming? What was it?

As an example, I always use to start numbering from 1, but after taking my first programming course and then on, I now start my numbering from 0.

Care to share some of your thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 47 Replies

I have start to medidate after I start programming.
I have strat to gain more concentration and patient after I started programming.
I started to learn more about x86 machine architecture after I started programming.

I managed to cut off the TV time and cricket time after I start programming.

- I have started to grow grey hair after I started programming
- I have started to have notorious thoughts about my computer after I started programming.
- I have started to think like a semi-computer in my daily life

commented: lolololololol +0

I have learned to stick with a project to the end.
I have more patience and concentrations.
I also start counting at 0.
And I have found that computers are not magic, or even rocket science. They are in fact,
computer science! :)

But most importantly of all, I have learned that nothing is impossible. If you stick with
it, and aren't afraid of a little work, you can make your dreams come true.

Computer programming can be more than just a hobby, it can be a philosophy for life.

WolfShield 11, verse 32 :D

- WolfShield

- More coffee, less beer
- More manuals, fewer novels
- Shorter days (I just started coding...how can it be dark already?)
- I started using Acronyms in everyday conversation

- I have started to grow grey hair after I started programming
- I have started to have notorious thoughts about my computer after I started programming.
- I have started to think like a semi-computer in my daily life

LOL

More manuals, fewer novels

Exectly same here! I now only read computer books.

And I guess I lost about 10-20 pounds of muscle wait after I started programming :)

Member Avatar for diafol

I used to have real friends.
I used to socialize.
I used to watch sport, live and on TV.
I used to get invited to parties.
I used to know who was the current Prime Minister.
:(

I used to have a life

i too start counting from 0
i feel helpless without a computer
i've become less social
i've become more irritatingly logical in everything. my friends ask me if i lost my sense of humour, whenever i try to find logic in their silly jokes.
i watch movies less. tv none,nada
and... i've no girlfriend :P

but the good thing is, when i code, i feel like a goddamn good doer creator of my own universe. i can create,customize, destroy all or anything i want. LOL
it makes me feel like lex luthor

lmao, I still have my life. I straighten out my priorities.

Before programming:
- Eat
- Poop
- Sleep
- Hangout
- repeat...
After programming:
- Eat
- Poop
- Program
- repeat

Gamers have many lifes -- but programmers create them :)

It has made me more creative.

It has made me more creative.

Thats very true. I started to think more logically in my everyday life. I realize that using rational thinking is the proper way of life, but of course there are some lines to draw rational thinking versus beliefs.

commented: Do you know that my belief is completely rational? :) +0

you know i gotta say this too, programming has sort of decreased my OCD rituals
because i'm mostly focused on thinkin out solutions to problems, logic etc, and some new app to build, so my focus from the retarded OCD rituals has shifted a great lot
but not completely.

i still do switch off the light and fan of my room a couple of times before leaving, and take more then 5 minutes in tying up laces of my shoes.
:P

Member Avatar for iret

Programming has changed the way I think depending on the language..

BASIC, which I thankfully never pursued in depth, twisted my sense of programming.

Pascal burned "If..Then..Otherwise" into my vocabulary, and made me think more logically. Programming Pascal forced a sense of structure, which made learning C/C++ oh so fun :P

Assembly Language gave me a sense of empowerment. Especially after seeing that an entire Windows and Linux program can be written in Assembly. BTW, compiler writers.. "Just give me my Assembly Language, and nobody gets hurt!"

C/C++ gave me a sense of freedom, and of creative problem solving. Sometimes I feel like I have to trick the C/C++ compiler into doing what I want. I also learned not to freak out when 20 errors show up, because it's really only 1 error.

Programming has changed the way I think depending on the language..

BASIC, which I thankfully never pursued in depth, twisted my sense of programming.

Pascal burned "If..Then..Otherwise" into my vocabulary, and made me think more logically. Programming Pascal forced a sense of structure, which made learning C/C++ oh so fun :P

Assembly Language gave me a sense of empowerment. Especially after seeing that an entire Windows and Linux program can be written in Assembly. BTW, compiler writers.. "Just give me my Assembly Language, and nobody gets hurt!"

C/C++ gave me a sense of freedom, and of creative problem solving. Sometimes I feel like I have to trick the C/C++ compiler into doing what I want. I also learned not to freak out when 20 errors show up, because it's really only 1 error.

yeah you are so right,

most of the time my friends go crying if they get some 10-15 errors. problem is, they don't even care to look at the stupid syntactical few mistakes they made, because of which other parts of the program got affected and thus showed so many errors

Member Avatar for tawes01

Start thinking about the things you use to do before you ever knew about programming and now think about how you changed that as a result of programming? What was it?

As an example, I always use to start numbering from 1, but after taking my first programming course and then on, I now start my numbering from 0.

Care to share some of your thoughts?

Programming has changed me so much, I don't know where to begin. Before I began programming, I never thought anything of any of the programs or websites I saw. But since then, I have gotten to a point where I am incredibly amazed by what's out there, and often will start thinking of the code behind them.

I also have gained a keen eye. I never did like the prospect of wasting away behind a computer, and I am very spontaneous in my programming ideas, so I wanted to be able to code without a computer. Odd, I know, but I can't tell you how many times I have gotten an idea while on a camping trip and grabbed paper and pencil, then 10 minutes later I had a long code in front of me. What about debugging, you wonder? This is where the keen eye comes in. I, with extensive practice and self-training, managed to be able to spot 49 out of 50 of the little errors, mistakes, discrepancies, and spelling errors that equate to a non-working script.

Finally, I am more analytic, and this has benefited me in more than just math class.

And I say, nerds live for video games. Geeks create them. So I guess that coders create nerds' worlds? Maybe we are Gods in our own way?????

I've found that I start to take things apart in my mind.
I try to find out how things work and how to change them or make them better.

I relate everyday things to programming (atoms are quite like lines of code ya know? :)).

I can take a lot of pride in the time I spend as an outcast, much better than before
I programmed. :)

- WolfShield

Another thing I must say is that because of programming and CSE in general, I have made a lot of new friends with varying personalities. Heck, my last girlfriend I meet was from a tutoring center for CSE. So I guess before programming, I had few friends, but after programming, don't know whether it was college or what but it definitely changed me for the better.

less tv.
less reading of manga.
less talking to neighborhood

gain patient.
gain knowledge
more creative and
gain eyebags LOL!

I taking programming course now so after that i will tell you how it change me. It seems fun. Maybe we should change this thread topic to how we change programming. That's more like it;)

commented: I really like this way of thinking.. DETERMINATION :) +0

After a healthy 2 weeks straight coding a game, I had an equally healthy episode of thinking in code.

if dishes need washed
 put in dish washer
else
 sit down

And many of the same type of things, what is even sadder is I laughed at myself until I started crying after I realised what I just did.

Member Avatar for tawes01

After a healthy 2 weeks straight coding a game, I had an equally healthy episode of thinking in code.

if dishes need washed
 put in dish washer
else
 sit down

And many of the same type of things, what is even sadder is I laughed at myself until I started crying after I realised what I just did.

I do the same thing all the time. I have even literally dreamed in code before (don't ask...).

Here's for a good chuckle:
Funny C/C++ Declarations!

Today when I was doing my math homework I accidentally put C++ comments (//) explaining what I did. My teach then asked me why did I put // and what that is! I didn't notice that when I was doing the homework.

commented: I used to do that too :) +0

Programming has made my logic skills increase drastically. Card games such as Magic: the Gathering have become MUCH easier to think about complex lines of interaction and calculating probabilities of opponents having cards, etc.

Sadly programming also makes it difficult to stay in shape :(

yes programming means sitting in front of the damn screen all the time.
and for a lazy coder like me, who has to debug more then code all the time,its damn awful.. growing an ugly paunch without regret. lol

My Brain starts functioning 24-7, and hell yeah it was fantastic!
but my eyes get's really sored hahaha!

Programming had me enjoy my free time more.

More research
love for coffee
eat junks
think even at sleep

starting to imagine everything as an object and wonder if i could do a program for everyday activities

commented: very good philosophy on programming +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.