skilly commented: deceptively good topic +0

Recommended Answers

All 151 Replies

26. Not much thought needed. 6+2x10 = 6+(2x10) = 26

commented: Great Job +0

HINT: You have to think.

commented: Nice Job +0

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU

Every single time I ask someone that question I get 80 ... they forget BIMDAS. I put the hit because I didn't want to sound like a fool :)

One of my friends said to me, after I told him, "Tell me when you sue BIMDAS in you line of work", I thought that was a funny way to back yourself up :D

Its the first time I've asked online and it was the correct answer ^_^

In USA any 5th grade student should have known the correct answer. And Shame on anyone who is a programmer and doesn't know it.

26... this is basic maths which we study when we start reading maths but what was the point of question???? i am confused on that

What was the gr8 job in it?????? :?:

Giving the "hint" just made me assume it was one of those trick questions that it wasn't a math question at all but rather something where you sounded out the letters and it made some phrase or whatever. If it's a math problem with no tricks, just state the problem. But it sounds like you already KNEW the answer. I'm with AD. This is a programming forum. Any programmer or 5th grader should know the answer. Not much thought required.

Your all very right. I wanted to see what people will react like. I new there would be a bunch (most likely a majority) of programmers and/or math acquainted people here - But still, its possible. People generally do not think of that as that's not how they're taught to think when they're young. PEMDAS, same thing as BIMDAS and BOMDAS; thus, I DO memorise it. Why is it a great job? Well you all got it right the first time, unless your hiding the fact you didn't :D

Basic math is of course simple, but got myself mystified sometimes with exponentiation (shame on me, and I got stipend of best mathematical science student in my graduation year 1984 in my town):

-1**0.5 is valid formula (-1^0.5 some languages).

I used to teach some math. PEMDAS was drilled into them so they almost all got your example. The ones they missed AS A RESULT OF MEMORIZING "PEMDAS" INSTEAD OF LEARNING THE ACTUAL RULES were 15 ÷ 3 × 5 or 15 - 3 + 5. See Mosaic Funeral's link. Plus/Minus and Multiply/Divide have equal precedence and go left to right, so you have to first learn PEMDAS, then UNLEARN PEMDAS. We should just teach them how to do it. No shortcuts. No slogans to memorize.

6+2x10 is nonsense
6+2*10 is 26

6+2x10 is nonsense
6+2*10 is 26

Yes, it would be if it were written in C or C++ (and several other computer languages). But this is a math quiz, not a programming quiz. I don't recall ever seeing * meaning multiply until I started learning programming.

AD is too smart for such a simple question.

PEMDAS??... In South Aus we call it BEDMAS

Fairly Simplistic.

@ tonyjv - what do you mean?

@ VernonDozier - I learnt it as BIMDAS. What is ti with learning and then unlearning?

@ VegaSeat and AD - funny vegaseat :D , AD does have a point :) In this case, tis the same thing. but some calculators do put * or a . <-- dot

@ Potgas - For real? Gosh I can't wait till australia has a unified education system as we're both learning different things. Before we did it at school, I was taught by a friend it being as BODMAS - but then I had to 'forget' that.

@ tonyjv - what do you mean?

@ VernonDozier - I learnt it as BIMDAS. What is ti with learning and then unlearning?

@ VegaSeat and AD - funny vegaseat :D , AD does have a point :) In this case, tis the same thing. but some calculators do put * or a . <-- dot

@ Potgas - For real? Gosh I can't wait till australia has a unified education system as we're both learning different things. Before we did it at school, I was taught by a friend it being as BODMAS - but then I had to 'forget' that.

I believe BODMAS is what we use to learn, then they changed it to BEDMAS.

I mean if you have a test and all you remember is the phrase "PEMDAS" or "BIMDAS" and try to follow it, you'll get the wrong answer.

15 ÷ 3 × 5 = 15 ÷ 15 = 1 <-- multiply first is wrong.

You have to remember what has equal precedence and that you have to go left to right there. In other words, you have to "unlearn" PEMDAS and memorize something more than a simple phrase, so why bother? There are no shortcuts. Just have the kids memorize the rules, all of them. No acronyms needed. Give the problem above to many adults and they'll get it wrong, courtesy of only remembering PEMDAS.

commented: somewhat unclear, are you trying to say 25 is the correct answer? +0

You have to remember what has equal precedence and that you have to go left to right there. In other words, you have to "unlearn" PEMDAS and memorize something more than a simple phrase, so why bother? There are no shortcuts. Just have the kids memorize the rules, all of them. No acronyms needed. Give the problem above to many adults and they'll get it wrong, courtesy of only remembering PEMDAS.

Perhaps it should be renamed L-PE(MD)(AS)?

commented: a possibility :) +0

>> Perhaps it should be renamed L-PE(MD)(AS)?

Better. If we can find an acronym that incorporates the fact that you do exponents right to left/top to bottom instead of left to right we're in business.

I'm not against teaching it in the very beginning. I just think we have to get away from the idea that we need to find a catchy phrase for everything. Sometimes the best way to learn is through good old fashioned drill/repetition. Throw every conceivable combination at them till they can do it in their sleep.

It's quite simple....

6+2x10 is 6+ 2x^10 and it is already in simplified form :)

commented: lol :) +0

I think it must be meant to be the (3+10*x)<<1 ;)

Depends where you think the brackets are -
(6+2)x10 = 80

6 + (2x10) = 26

6+2x10 is easy
but
I oftened wondered what 7+2x10 could be

commented: lol manaical +0

Pfft, curriculum council -_- its still the same thing, right?

I believe BODMAS is what we use to learn, then they changed it to BEDMAS.

OK, is this some trick? because I really don't get you.

I mean if you have a test and all you remember is the phrase "PEMDAS" or "BIMDAS" and try to follow it, you'll get the wrong answer.

15 ÷ 3 × 5 = 15 ÷ 15 = 1 <-- multiply first is wrong.

A possibility :)

Perhaps it should be renamed L-PE(MD)(AS)?

Think of one and then submit it to the curriculum council ^_^ Who knows, name it after yourself or something and get some legacy - As mathematicians (and of the sort) mostly do not get recognition for their great work.

>> Perhaps it should be renamed L-PE(MD)(AS)?

Better. If we can find an acronym that incorporates the fact that you do exponents right to left/top to bottom instead of left to right we're in business.

I'm not against teaching it in the very beginning. I just think we have to get away from the idea that we need to find a catchy phrase for everything. Sometimes the best way to learn is through good old fashioned drill/repetition. Throw every conceivable combination at them till they can do it in their sleep.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.