Haha, I'm trying to set up my applications to update online but can't find any FTP servers that are free. I did have one a while back that I was using for an email client I was developing but can't remember the name.

If there is a way for me to publish my applications to my website instead of an FTP server that would be great too. I'm using webs.com for hosting though so I have no idea if that will work at all. Figured I'd post this here because it's a pretty general question (as in not related to specific programming languages).

Thanks,
Jamie

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Haha, I'm trying to set up my applications to update online but can't find any FTP servers that are free. I did have one a while back that I was using for an email client I was developing but can't remember the name.

If there is a way for me to publish my applications to my website instead of an FTP server that would be great too. I'm using webs.com for hosting though so I have no idea if that will work at all. Figured I'd post this here because it's a pretty general question (as in not related to specific programming languages).

Thanks,
Jamie

Have you considered using a local FTP-server? For example Filezilla Server, I'm personally very happy about it.
I understand that you are still developing your website/applications, so that may be a good alternative?
My trust in free web hosting is gone, since I lost an entire site that my free webhost just removed due to inactivity, even without noticing me..

Look, FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, which means that you can ( as much as my knowledge serves ) put only HTML websites on them. To do that--
1. Go to www.000webhost.com.
2. Register.
3. Make your HTML files.
4. Download FileZilla Client.
5. Get your FTP details from 000webhost.com
6. Upload through FileZilla.

You may want to check out www.hostgator.com

Download any FTP client of your choice, one that best suits your knowledge but filezilla is quite easy and fantastic to me. Once you have your domain registered with your host, you can set your domain credentials on your FTP client and transfer/upload your web files to your domain.

Look, FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, which means that you can ( as much as my knowledge serves ) put only HTML websites on them. To do that--
1. Go to www.000webhost.com.
2. Register.
3. Make your HTML files.
4. Download FileZilla Client.
5. Get your FTP details from 000webhost.com
6. Upload through FileZilla.

But I think what he meant is that he actually needs a file-server, just for file-exchange, not a web-server (with php, mySQL etc.). Of course, you can just put some files on the webserver, but some free hosting services don't allow you do exchange files in that way, they demand a index.html-file in your main folder. With a file-server, that's not the case. But free (stable!) file-servers are hard to find though..

Hi,
Try this.
Hope this helped

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.