Microsoft is ALMOST giving this away to people who already own VS 2012 Pro -- just $99.00, compared to $400.00 price without VS 2012 Pro. There were a few changes to .NET Framework, closer compliance to C++11, and better support for writing Windows 8.1 apps. If you don't care about any of those then it's probably not worth the $99.00 to upgrade.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

There were a few changes to .NET Framework

4.5 support, which in the business world is a no-go until Windows 8 is adopted (unlikely in the near future from my consulting experience) or IT departments are comfortable installing the runtime to support applications written for it (more likely, but still a bit off). Right now the most my clients are typically willing to work with is the 4.0 framework and Windows 7.

closer compliance to C++11

Not close enough for my comfort. VS 2014 should be a solid implementation of C++11 and choice features from C++14.

Hi, guys, thanks for the info. :) Would a cheap upgrade also work if I have VS 2010 Pro and Windows 7?

I don't think so -- all it mentions is cheap upgrad from 2012, most likely because 2013 was released so quickly after 2012.

Well, if I ever upgrade, I'm going to use an Express edition I guess. Thanks AD :)

The only reason I upgraded from 2012 to 2013 was because the cost of the upgrade was so cheap. I'm not in the business of writing professionally any more, so I'm not concerned about not having the latest-and-greatest any more. Leave that up to the younger generations :)

I have visual studio 2013 and 2012 and 2010 and I'd much rather develop in 2010. Hate the dull horrible interface THAT SHOUTS AT ME all the time in 2012 and 2013.I know they have new features, support .NET 4.5 etc. but as a working environment that new interface would be a basement compared to the open plan office look of 2010 and earlier versions and I know where I'd rather work...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.