i love stepehen king because he recommends books from other authors also.. i read his book reviews in new york times also..i like his article about harry potter and the deathly hallows.. he seemed like a very nice guy.. have you read bag of bones jasimp?

I have not, it is on my list of books to read though.

about four of them. A lot of them are the classics type and I usually don't read those kind of books. I like stuff like King, Patterson, Koontz, Crichton. Some old stuff I have like Lord of the Flies, Lord of the Rings but most of it I don't really read. Maybe when I retire and have more time.

jasimp, if you like Patteron and Crichton, you might want to check out Robin Cook as well.

I have read Coma, which I think is one of his books, and really liked it. I forgot about him until you mentioned his name. I definitely have to go and read some more of his books.

I have read Coma, which I think is one of his books, and really liked it. I forgot about him until you mentioned his name. I definitely have to go and read some more of his books.

Yes, Coma is one of his earlier books. He has written a lot since.

guys.. just want to recommend "the kite runner" by khaled hosseini..

its such a beautiful, inspiring and moving book...

Books I have read and recommend (in no particular order of preference or genre):

Steven Hawkins:
A Breif History of Time

Issac Asimov:
Extraterrestrial Civilisations

Jung Chang: 
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China

Bill Bryson:
A Short History Of Nearly Everything
Notes From a Small Island

Orson Scott Card:
Enders Game (The whole Ender series in fact)

Joel Spolsky:
Joel On Software (A must read for any software developer IMHO)

Joshua Piven and David Borgenicht:
The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook

M. Scott Peck
The Road Less Traveled

Phillip Pullman:
"His Dark Materials" trilogy
Northern Lights 
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass

T.H White
The Sword In The Stone
The Once and Future King

Douglass Adams:
The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Kenneth Graham
The Wind In The Willows

A.A.Milne
All the Winnie The Pooh Stories

Richard Adams
Watership Down

William Horwood
The Duncton Chronicles:
Duncton Wood
Duncton Quest
Duncton Found

H.G Wells
War of the Worlds

John Wyndham
All his stuff. (Most famous for "The Day of the Triffids")

Roald Dahl
Just a legend really. My all time favourits were Goerge's Marvelous Medicine and Fantastic Mr Fox.

Terry Pratchett
All the Discworld novels.

Sue Townsend
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13¾
The Queen And I

great!! thanks hollystyles

anyone hear have read richard russo's 'Empire Falls'?

A neat book, Tom Wolfe's "I am Charlotte Simmons".

Dragging this up from the dust bin to mention another great series I've been reading.

For anyone who enjoys the fantasy genre, I'd highly recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. The plot lines and character development are much deeper and more complex than the typical hero vs villain paradigm commonly seen. There is much more gray than black-and-white to the numerous characters in the multi-sided conflict and, in the brutal games of war and politics, harsh endings are just as likely as victories. It's not another "against all odds, the heroes prevail" cookie-cutter by any means.

Too bad - I am in the mood for a good cookie-cutter hero right now.

But GRRM is an excellent writer so I am sure that that series will be good - I will look into it

Have you seen the "System of the World" series by by Neal Stephenson - there is so much history and convolution in there for anyone.

Nope, I'll take a look at it.

For a good cookie-cutter hero epic fantasy, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is good, if a bit overly long...

The Third Option - Vince Flynn

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.