A website is lifeline of internet home business. In order to succeed you must have a website that that meets the general criteria of accepted standards. Flavor of each site varies according to the intended business and choice of the owner. But there are guidelines which should be kept in mind while you work to develop your own e-shop.
First of all is the domain name. It is the address to your website. So it should be kept simple and easy to remember. Try as for as possible to include letters only in your website name. Numbers are most easily forgotten. So are the hyphens and underscores. They take time to get registered and fade quickly. Domain names should be themed around your business. Try to keep it short and sweet.
Focus on your customer. Always keep your customers first. Remember! Everybody is busy and so are your customers. Nobody will have the time to search for your products if you do not guide them well. With this in mind a website should be developed for maximum benefit. There are other things which appear small and obvious but together they add up to quite a difference to your home business.
To name a few ---

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

Great thread,

This certainly makes a good point. Business is growing daily on the internet. If you want to sell your products or services online you must learn some basics of online business building.

All you need to do is look around and see what people in a particular niche are buying, and then get your offer in front of some targeted traffic.

There are literally thousands of niche markets and thousands of solutions being offered. I would suggest trying to focus on an area that you have a good working knowledge of... something you can speak of with some expertise. This will make your marketing experience seem more like a hobby than a second job.

Here are just a few pointers:

Fast download time...
...regularly updated, original and well-focussed, keyword-savvy content...
...a lot of back up material on other easily navigable pages (so the visitor feels you really are an expert on the subject!)...
...something to encourage visitor participation (survey, questionnaire with a freebie for filling it in)...
...a form for the visitor to sign up to your newsletter (you do have a newsletter, don't you???)...

It will also benefit from:

...a unique selling proposition...
...a personal touch...
...contact details...
...an about me page...
...credible testimonials...

That's a great list Bobchrist!

That kind of list tends to go viral whether the list writer intended it or not - there was another "50 ways-to-get-traffic-to-your-site" list that I saw on another forum, and then started seeing it pop up elsewhere too... People love lists, so another great way to attract traffic is to write one yourself and then invite people to copy it (with your link included) and use it on their sites, blogs, etc.

===

Another way to get your site exposed free is to sign up to Creative Commons (creativecommons.org) and allow other people to COPY your original content... check out the site if you think that sounds nuts - it makes far more sense to give away your original content in exchange for LINKS back to your site than to get "a..l retentive" about your copyright...
:D
===

Ever since the development of the internet, the internet marketing has continuously grown and it is today one of the most profitable businesses. It has many shapes and sizes, from people who make a small revenue to real giants who make millions and billions of dollars. If you want to get your hands on a piece of the big pie, you have to know that competition is fierce, but with a little bit of luck and a lot of commitment, it can be done.
Online Marketing can attract more people to your website, increase customers for your business, and enhance branding of your company and products. The idea of making money online is attractive to many, primarily because of the benefits it offers.

Hang Out With Millionaires
http://www.jitmillions.com

Hey that is really great tips......... I liked it a lot and keep it up.............

for creating a good business website one should laid stress on the web designing department
and choose words that also have an emotional charge to match the subject of your website also
give a short name to your website 3 to 4 words ..............

Its all about getting update and hit it in the market.
Its playing around with Time and information. When you get it, make it worth money.... this is so far I have learned.

Jeff

You should get a good domain name that is easily brand-able, and recognizable. You can make it short and sweet. Stay away from keyword domains and aim for branding and name recognition. Keywords in a domain name hold more value now to search engines than ever before.
Make your site design simple. Textual content needs to always out weight the html and also the visual content make sure you check that your pages are valid and usable in everything from Lynx to the most obscure of browsers.

To start a home business it is better to have your own website. There are many web-based services available on the internet will allows you to build your own site and they charge a small amount on monthly basis. After building your own web site, see that you keep your site up to date of all your offers and services. Your main job is to draw the traffic by giving some attractive offers.

A website is lifeline of internet home business. In order to succeed you must have a website that that meets the general criteria of accepted standards. Flavor of each site varies according to the intended business and choice of the owner. But there are guidelines which should be kept in mind while you work to develop your own e-shop.

First of all is the domain name. It is the address to your website. So it should be kept simple and easy to remember. Try as for as possible to include letters only in your website name. Numbers are most easily forgotten. So are the hyphens and underscores. They take time to get registered and fade quickly. Domain names should be themed around your business. Try to keep it short and sweet.

Focus on your customer. Always keep your customers first. Remember! Everybody is busy and so are your customers. Nobody will have the time to search for your products if you do not guide them well. With this in mind a website should be developed for maximum benefit. There are other things which appear small and obvious but together they add up to quite a difference to your home business.

Make a Target Income, Make a good investment, Good positive thought, get as much as informations you can, Keep your competitors close to you, Update your self, Share with your pals etc. etc... are some of the things to remember for building any great website.

ross

I have some of the Tips for Building a Great Business Website:

1 BUY YOUR OWN DOMAIN NAME AND AVOID VIRTUAL DOMAINS
2 NEVER USE A FREE WEB HOSTING SERVICE FOR YOUR BUSINESS!
3 BUILD A WEB SITE RICH IN CONTENT!
4 PROMOTE YOUR SITE-- AGGRESSIVELY
5 DON'T ADVERTISE HOW SMALL YOU ARE WITH WEB COUNTERS!
7 DON'T USE FRONTPAGE SAMPLE WEB PAGES FOR YOUR SITE!
8 USE A RELIABLE WEB SITE DESIGNER OR DO IT YOURSELF!
9 HAVE GOOD NAVIGATION THROUGHOUT YOUR SITE!
10 TELL YOUR CUSTOMERS HOW TO REACH YOU!

Anyways, The information given by is really good. Thank you very much.

wow those were really some good points thankx for sharing many will benifit from it.

Nice Tips for Building a Great Business Website..... Thank you so much....

I plan to make a million dollars in 3 years! I am well on my way.
PLEASE check out my website at www.fudgenfudge.com

Nice Tips for Building a Great Business Website..... Thank you so much....

Welcome, did the information in the article helped you? You can rely on for any help of such kind...

See you soon!
Kevin

I have some of the Tips for Building a Great Business Website:

1 BUY YOUR OWN DOMAIN NAME AND AVOID VIRTUAL DOMAINS
2 NEVER USE A FREE WEB HOSTING SERVICE FOR YOUR BUSINESS!
3 BUILD A WEB SITE RICH IN CONTENT!
4 PROMOTE YOUR SITE-- AGGRESSIVELY
5 DON'T ADVERTISE HOW SMALL YOU ARE WITH WEB COUNTERS!
7 DON'T USE FRONTPAGE SAMPLE WEB PAGES FOR YOUR SITE!
8 USE A RELIABLE WEB SITE DESIGNER OR DO IT YOURSELF!
9 HAVE GOOD NAVIGATION THROUGHOUT YOUR SITE!
10 TELL YOUR CUSTOMERS HOW TO REACH YOU!

thanks for the great tips mate

Every business has to have a model of what the owner wants to accomplish. Most of these home business models start you off talking to your friends and family, spending hours promoting and even calling people you don't even know.

It really is that easy to start your journey. Imagine operating a business that takes practically no time and returns enough money so you are able to enjoy the travel discounts you will receive. What are you waiting for? Get over to the site and get the details before everyone else does!

A lot of people don't want to talk to their friends and family about their Internet business because "people hate being sold to" and will start to avoid you because they don't want to be INTERRUPTED by your sales pitch!

Instead, think about ways to build your business around PERMISSION marketing. Give people an incentive to let you have their email address or telephone number etc. and then start a dialogue with them that benefits them before it benefits you. Do that enough times and you will get yourself a customer who trusts you and is willing to return to you again and again.

Every business has to have a model of what the owner wants to accomplish. Most of these home business models start you off talking to your friends and family, spending hours promoting and even calling people you don't even know.

It really is that easy to start your journey. Imagine operating a business that takes practically no time and returns enough money so you are able to enjoy the travel discounts you will receive. What are you waiting for? Get over to the site and get the details before everyone else does!

What site , most home businesses are scams . What has it got to do with building a website ?

Hi Guys,
Very good thread for a great business.
Andy

Here are just a few pointers:

Fast download time...
...regularly updated, original and well-focussed, keyword-savvy content...
...a lot of back up material on other easily navigable pages (so the visitor feels you really are an expert on the subject!)...
...something to encourage visitor participation (survey, questionnaire with a freebie for filling it in)...
...a form for the visitor to sign up to your newsletter (you do have a newsletter, don't you???)...

It will also benefit from:

...a unique selling proposition...
...a personal touch...
...contact details...
...an about me page...
...credible testimonials...

Hi,
Great thread - Thanks
Andy

Hi,
Great thread - Thanks for sharing the info.
Andy

Thanks for sharing these guidelines with everyone on this forum and I will definitelykeep them in my mind

These are all great tips.

I'm in the midst of designing a future business with Web site and all, and I've had a couple of questions come up as of late. I hope it's okay if I ask them here.

First of all, my desired domain_name.com is already taken and I will have to wait a year to see if the owner does not renew her registration. I was under the impression that owning all the variations of your domain name is key to beating out the competition (like having .net, .info, etc.). What do you all think about this? And has anyone had direct experience with this issue?

Secondly, I'm not exactly clear on how an online business is different is different from a traditional off-line one. For those of you already successful online, did you have to register for a business license still?

I think these are good tips. I'm at the creating content-richness stage. It's challenging to balance that out with what you actually sell. For instance, I'm finishing up a book and want to promote it on my site. At the same time I want the site to be worth reading and to keep a regular blog to keep visitors interested. But I don't want to give out information that makes it so that my book is not worth buying, because all the content is scattered elsewhere for free. This has been my biggest lesson so far, tracking what information goes where and in what form. I think that's key to a great business, being able to manage all that you have in a strategic way.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.