'been thinking lately, what really are curse words. When i say 'curse words' I don't mean those ones witches purportedly place on people.

Some of the language used sometimes on this forum falls into what I think/thought constitutes curse words and therefore inappropriate.

Over here in africa, we have words that are more or less 'gutter language' too but of course they are not english language. What some of our youth do is to emulate and practise what they see and hear on the television.
For instance, I used to think the word or the exclamation - 'Shit!' could be used without batting an eyelid anywhere and anytime. But the inappropriateness was only brought to my notice only recently.
I thought 'shit' is not like 'F-you know what-k. :$How wrong I was.

So could you guys help out.
And you know what? It seems to be an american phenomena(i.e made popular amongst english speaking countries of the world) - personal opinion. I stand to be corrected.:?:
peace

Recommended Answers

All 62 Replies

You know, your right. I have no idea why they're called "curse" words.

Certain words are taboo for the same reason that certain combinations of musical notes and certain colors of light are taboo.

Even so, Jamello is somewhat right. Profanity on Daniweb seems undefined.. Besides Rashakil's post the other day :D, most 'curse' words go unnoticed. I for one, do not care one bit.. however, I know there are some who would take offense. Is there anyone who can clear up which words are allowed and which are not? And why are all words allowed in the reputation box? I have personally asked a few mods and admins questions pertaining to what language it allowed, and I have yet to get a straight answer.

I don't think it's just an American thing.

No, definitely not.
I even dare to say that we don't know how to curse, knowing that some will take objection to it. Moreover english use very short words, and could never achieve optimum insulting power.

The worse curse is @#$!!&%!*, since it is left to the readers' compiler preprocessor implementation.

No, definitely not.
I even dare to say that we don't know how to curse, knowing that some will take objection to it. Moreover english use very short words, and could never achieve optimum insulting power.

I beg to differ.. We english can curse very well, and insult quite efficiently.. If you want, I can prove this to you via a pm ;)

The worse curse is @#$!!&%!*, since it is left to the readers' compiler preprocessor implementation.

Hm.. not really. What curse word has nine characters?

The straight answer is set out in the rules, under keep it clean. Specifically:

"Mature language and concepts are therefore acceptable on DaniWeb to the point that would be acceptable on daytime family television, but offensive postings are not. To ensure that standards are maintained we have implemented a filter that will edit out inappropriate language in your postings. However, common sense should prevail and if you are unsure if a word is acceptable or not, please don’t post it. It is prohibited to use alternative characters in an attempt to circumvent the bad words filter."

im part scottish right and i have a bit of an accent so i tend to use the F and S (but with an e on the end) words excessivley as do most scots. To most people there its not really swearing, its almost a part of the language

i hate that rule because i dont know if words which i dont personally find offensive count or not

We english can curse very well, and insult quite efficiently..

When did you changed nationality?.

If you want, I can prove this to you via a pm ;)

Always looking for opportunities to insult?.

Hm.. not really. What curse word has nine characters?

You just proved my point. Not english for sure.

i hate that rule because i dont know if words which i dont personally find offensive count or not

The filter was brought into play to take the subjectivity out of it, in as far as beforehand it would be a matter of every moderator making a decision based upon their own concept of offensiveness rather than a system-wide one. So we ended up with some mods deleting use of the word damn for example, and others that would not flinch at the f-word depending upon context.

Dani and I spent many a night coming up with the list of banned words, and we consulted other forums and looked at their profanity filters during this process.

Now we do not claim to be moral guardians, and being a global community we appreciate that what may offend a person from one country or culture might not another. However, what we have ended up with is a system that filters out a set of words that will always be deemed as offensive here. It is exactly the same for everyone, and no personal moderator opinion need enter into the equation.

We felt that this was the fairest way to approach the issue.

Obviously we cannot provide a list of the words that are on the banned list, the filter would filter them out. Anyway, it really is, as the rules state, a matter of common sense most of the time. If you think it might cause offense then do not post it, simple as that :)

Hopefully that makes sense. We are always working to improve the way that every aspect of DaniWeb works, and will always listen to suggestions from members - although we do reserve the right not to agree!

The straight answer is set out in the rules, under keep it clean. Specifically:

"Mature language and concepts are therefore acceptable on DaniWeb to the point that would be acceptable on daytime family television, but offensive postings are not. To ensure that standards are maintained we have implemented a filter that will edit out inappropriate language in your postings. However, common sense should prevail and if you are unsure if a word is acceptable or not, please don’t post it. It is prohibited to use alternative characters in an attempt to circumvent the bad words filter."

I wouldn't quite use the word 'specifically' to describe that rule.. If the filter does what it is supposed to then no one should be infracted for "Keep it Clean", am I right? "Daytime family television"? I have seen shows such as South Park and Family Guy on during the day.. and what about context? Does that matter? If I call someone a b----, then that would be bad, but if I just said: "Ah, today has been a b----." Then is that acceptable?

Exactly.

When did you changed nationality?.

English, as in natural english speakers.. which you obviously aren't as you can't conjugate verbs properly.

Always looking for opportunities to insult?.

Sure, why not?

yeah i dont use the F word on daniweb because it upsets people, instead i stick to the less harsh words like crap

English, as in natural english speakers.. which you obviously aren't as you can't conjugate verbs properly.

Is that what finally drove it home for you, that I am not a native english speaker?. It took you long enough.
Let me give you a piece of my mind and also a fine example of a perfect insult for you. You are a "comeconla boca llena y masticascon losdientes". :angry:

:D

Is that what finally drove it home for you, that I am not a native english speaker?. It took you long enough.
Let me give you a piece of my mind and also a fine example of a perfect insult for you. You are a "comeconla boca llena y masticascon losdientes". :angry:

hahahaa... "Drove it home for me"? No, it is you who has constantly assumed that I was prejudiced against you.. when I have never been. I will just ignore that angry outburst lol..

I will just ignore that angry outburst lol..

[sarcasm]Yeah, I am real angry. I lost it. I even insulted you, you got me out of control.[sarcasm].
Don't flattered yourself. I am just providing entertainment.

Oh okay.. If you can even call that an insult anyway.. wtf is your prob?

Lol Aia, if it weren't for the tense inconsistency, that would be a great insult... :P

More on topic: curse words IMHO are words with severe connotations which can be used for effective emphasis; however, they're typically used poorly, and their overuse demonstrates a severe lack of language control on the speaker's part.

As an anecdote, I just started realizing how much one of my friends swears (I'm pretty sure this is a new thing for her), and she does is rather poorly, to the point of being annoying as a matter of style alone. It also makes what she says much less worth listening to; who wants to listen to an abuse of vulgar terms?

>josh:I for one, do not care one bit.. however, I know there are some who would take offense.

I noticed!;) . Infact you had me worried. Since I knew the mods will come at you, I was taken aback when you were spared:D
I used to think as I said earlier that "what the "HELL"" was profanity.

People can you kindly stop writing these words in abreviations. Let the words be typed in full for the purpose of this thread.
I don't seem to get them when they are inter laced with suggestive letters. Let it be literal. Mods please allow.:$

I had for instance had somebody, actually an american lady shout "RATS!!!" at something pretty disgusting to her. Would this word constitute a curse word.

what is b---- for instance?

if much prefer to say WTF instead of the real one.

People can you kindly stop writing these words in abreviations. Let the words be typed in full for the purpose of this thread.
I don't seem to get them when they are inter laced with suggestive letters. Let it be literal. Mods please allow.:$

I had for instance had somebody, actually an american lady shout "RATS!!!" at something pretty disgusting to her. Would this word constitute a curse word.

what is b---- for instance?

Abbreviations actually allow you to say something that would normally be filtered.. I guess technically this would be against the rules as it is bypassing the filter.. but, yea. And no, rats is not a curse word. In the english language the basic curse words would be "damn, hell, ass, sh**, b****, and f***". Obviously, I don't want to actually post the full words as it would filter them out anyway.. The reason I post those is for educational purposes ;). However, if you really want to know what they are then you can always pm me or somethn.

if much prefer to say WTF instead of the real one.

haha.. yea, I agree.

:D

Lol Aia, if it weren't for the tense inconsistency, that would be a great insult... :P

I am not surprised that you noticed it. It was not by accident I left a `s' out. The intent was to fool the filter.
I must confess I have never made use of this kind of language in this way before. :icon_redface:

Upon reflection I have concluded that the secret to an effective insult
lays at combinations. Yes, you read correctly: "combinations".
I shall demostrate. But first, for those with sensitive wording syndrome; caution is advised.
Let's take for example:
@#!%

A four character expression. Ordinary these days, almost, to the point that you could hear it out of the mouth of a first grader at school.
Let's consider now,
$&*%>

A more provocative one, but also very mundane. Join them together with the conjunctive,
<!>

and what do we get?.
@#!%<!>$&*%>

Oh, my..., :icon_redface: I feel a little shameful of myself. I think I have gone too far.

[Edit] This exercise was conducted with insulting purposes only. If a
moderator feels the need to censure it. I certainly will understand.

commented: Huge sense of humor man! Hahahaa! +2

hahahaa.. wow, that was the most ridiculous post I have ever seen in my life.

The key to insulting someone is actually hitting them where it hurts. For example, simply yelling f--- you! Your a beep beep beep! doesn't mean jack. It's like yelling fatass! at a skinny dude.

You've got to look for the most psychologically damaging insult.. look for a physical characteristic that stands out.. or make fun of their intelligence..

[edit] For example, I could make fun of Aia's terrible English or his/her immigration status since that is obviously very hurtful to him/her.

I am not surprised that you noticed it. It was not by accident I left a `s' out. The intent was to fool the filter.
I must confess I have never made use of this kind of language in this way before. :icon_redface:

Initially I intended to leave more characters out, but upon consideration I noticed that it would be very easy to fool the filter package joshSCH version 1.8. build 1988.

commented: :D +3

aias english isnt that bad, i think hes pretty cool :)

i love how people always insult me by saying "gingerpubes" etc...

commented: I can't help it. I need to give you a good one. +6

aias english isnt that bad, i think hes pretty cool :)

i love how people always insult me by saying "gingerpubes" etc...

It doesn't really matter if the insult is true (in this case, regarding Aia it is :D), but just so they feel bad.

gingerpubes? lol.. I don't get it..

[edit] For example, I could make fun of Aia's terrible English or his/her immigration status since that is obviously very hurtful to him/her.

No, is not. I am very proud of being an American. Even if I will always have an accent, and never will keep a journal in English for efficiency reason.
Keep trying Sigmund Freud.

[/B][/I]Oh, my..., :icon_redface: I feel a little shameful of myself. I think I have gone too far.

[Edit] This exercise was conducted with insulting purposes only. If a
moderator feels the need to censure it. I certainly will understand.

Its all gibberish -- you might as well have written Klingon for all I know. No need to edit your post because I found it rather humerous and probably adequately illustrates the point you wanted to get across.

gingerpubes? lol.. I don't get it..

neither do I -- must be a Brit thingy.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.