Can anybody remember when this world of ours ( THE NET ) started to become a place of congregation for profit hungry morons that were never interested in the technology to begin with ?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Sorry, Wrong Title.... Should have been The Internet

sorry. i dont see your point. economics is the reason why the internet is more than just a dream.

let me put it another way. if profit never was the issue then there would not have been what we call the internet today.

ever since the invention of the al-mighty dollar it has been money that made the world go round. not newton's first law!

i disagree with you. profit is definetly a reason for doing it, but it was more of a way of comunicating better. it really wasn't about making money as it was the actual technical aspect of it.

i disagree with you. profit is definetly a reason for doing it, but it was more of a way of comunicating better. it really wasn't about making money as it was the actual technical aspect of it.

you are right in that it is about communicating better. but what i am saying is that without the money involved the internet would never have gotten to what it is.

think about it. who would be willing to invest millions in fiber optic if not for profit? and even if there are some who would they would not have the financial muscle to carry through.

lets take cisco. would it really supply its routers just for the satisfaction of providing better communication? and the guy who buys a cisco router. he wont do it just for the fun either.

many great inventions has fallen by the wayside because there was not the money angle to support it.

When nuts started breaking into computers.

The ultimate security system: Thumb and blanket.

You're right, the government did invest becuase it was an opportunity to make money, and they were right, so every one's happy. what are people complaining about?

But government can't create wealth.

they can creat programs and projects that are beneficial and eventually become a source of profit.

You're right, the government did invest becuase it was an opportunity to make money, and they were right, so every one's happy. what are people complaining about?

no complaining from my side. i initialy posted because the guy who started this thread said that the net is turning into a money thing.

but ventures the size of the internet had always been about the money. even if they start of as a dream they have to sooner or later involve the money.

the only such venture i dont get is nasa. they expand billions and i just dont see the profit(although i do see the point).

i can understand the exploring of the earth by ship some centuries ago because there was the possibility of colonisation and trade. but i cant see nasa's money angle. are they perhaps hoping to harvest solid mercury from jupiter's core?

dont think that i am against nasa. it is just that i dont see the money angle.

no complaining from my side. i initialy posted because the guy who started this thread said that the net is turning into a money thing.

but ventures the size of the internet had always been about the money. even if they start of as a dream they have to sooner or later involve the money.

the only such venture i dont get is nasa. they expand billions and i just dont see the profit(although i do see the point).

i can understand the exploring of the earth by ship some centuries ago because there was the possibility of colonisation and trade. but i cant see nasa's money angle. are they perhaps hoping to harvest solid mercury from jupiter's core?

dont think that i am against nasa. it is just that i dont see the money angle.

Sigh! The idea of ideas; knowledge for knowledge's sake has always provided wealth. I put it up there with music, art, etc. Wealth is not just dollars

The internet was started so that scientist could talk to each other - to communicate, using money provided by the military. It was not started as a method of making money.

NASA has returned something like $1000 for every $1 invested - it is all of society that has benefitted not just one person or corporationl.

It is infrastructure upon which our society is built; similar to the roi of the interstate highway system - almost incalculable because who we are, what we are as a society is so completely dependent the knowledge gained that we can't imagine what life would be like w/o it.

Free education, NASA, Interstate highway system, they all provide us with, with...

Dang!

Sorry, I started to rant again - it is just that so many people don't want to pay for anything that does not immediately benefit themselves, sigh!

Can anybody remember when this world of ours ( THE NET ) started to become a place of congregation for profit hungry morons that were never interested in the technology to begin with ?

I got my first "send $5 to the names on the list today and become a millionaire in just 6 weeks" in 1989 when the internet was mostly USEnet news groups and Mosaic had only about 3 web-sites.

Those were the days, we didn't even have color - everything was in black and white, and we had to use the Post Office if we wanted to send messages to each other

@ grimjack

>highway

it repays itself. it makes it possible to travel and transport goods. transport costs go down so the economy goes up.

>internet

let me just give the benefit. it spreads knowledge. knowledge is store of ideas. business is built upon ideas.

-even dams. they give water for irigation and kinetic energy for power generation.

>nasa. billions returned for one.

while i think it that space exploration is good i dont see the return. there is no such thing as knowledge for the sake of knowledge itslef. even the knowledge of the arts has economic benefit. people spends millions each year on cds, books etc. but what does nasa make or at least provide so that costs elsewhere is limited.

i am saying again. i am not against nasa. it is just that every large scale venture that i know about had some money angle. either it can be sold directly. or it lowers costs. or it provide a stepping stone if you will so that a future cost saving or selling project can benefit. but not nasa.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.