Hmmmmmmm! Good response, well taken. Thank you for the thought. I think the proper definition of 'dimension' is something that can be measured. At least that's the way I read it. I wonder what the unit of measuring the thought process is? You might say it's an idea or a concept, but how would you measure that. I think sometimes if you measured my thoughts you'd come up with a black hole.
A good argument for atheism is that you can't measure God; But you can measure faith. Hmmmmm!
I watched the 10 dimensions on you tube. it's redundant, huh? See ya' later.

Doc,

We measure the 3 dimensions of space from within the space thus created by them, using them to measure them. We measure time, how? By noticing changes within space? Yes, but also, by noticing thought (or cognition).

Time, in and of itself has no measurable substance. We only know of it by virtue of our intuitive grasp - logic - perception that it "must" "exist" in order for changes to apply. Thus, Time is but a description (an explanation of, or a name given to) of an attribute that we cannot actually see (touch and tactilely feel), and which we can only measure relative to processes which we can get a handle on / measure. Time only shows us a contrast between states. If all were absolutely static, (including our thoughts) Time would have no meaning.

Likewise, Thought / Cognition is a relative issue. It cannot be measured any more (or less) than can time. Further, it cannot be measured in the same way (through the observation of external processes), yet, we know of it for exactly the same reason that we know of time... It (cognition) is a description of; a name given to a process that is observable by contrast. Sensory deprevation leaves us with our thoughts (and a distorted sense of time.)

Your black hole theory may not be far from the truth. I mean that in the scientific sense, not as a statement as to your character.

I suspect there is much more to Cognition, Thought and Will / Intention than we yet begin to comprehend. [What are we, after all, if you believe in God, but the manifestation of His Will? Thinking along this line, he did not Create us with his hands, but with his Will. He Willed all that we see into being. We have Will as well. The question is, how much?]

As you say, we have not thought yet how to measure it. Should we learn to do so, perhaps we will also learn to harness it.

When man finally gets around to really thinking about this, he may find he can do much more with it than he has done to date, just as he has done with every discipline he has taken seriously, studied and developed.

All of our measurements are self-referential, they depend upon the consistent behavior of one another for them to be meaninful. Thus, they are all, not only relative, but to a degree, inconsistent. We have an approximate measurement of anything you can think of. (Even the atomic resonance upon which we base our measurment of time is subject to fluctuation. We just can't see it.)

Measurement of the dimensions is a means to our ends, where our ability to make finer increments yields the means greater manipulation. But measurement does not show us the greater picture.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.