Could someone explain to me why I received a down vote for my reply to this thread. Seems a little undeserving.
Or better yet, why doesn't the person who down voted my reply man-up and say why.

Am I missing something here.
Sure seems like a sure-fire way to discourage people from posting and possibly not even returning to DaniWeb.

Calm down, they don't mean much, plus they're subject to opinion, not whether the post is actually of good quality or not.

Could someone explain to me why I received a down vote for my reply to this thread. Seems a little undeserving.
Or better yet, why doesn't the person who down voted my reply man-up and say why.

What do you care what other people think?

Although it wasn't me, I can imagine why someone downvoted it. It's an "I agree" post, which is (in most cases) unnecessary.
Mather of personal opinion though.
As William and Rashakil told you: Don't let it bother you what other people think. (so yes, I agree with them:) )

@ the above three responses:

If these up/down votes are of such little significance, why bother with them at all? Better yet, why tie them to ppl's profiles in the form of an active report?

If these votes are of such little significance, then why the hell has DaniWeb even bothered with this system at all? Either it is meant to be of some value, in which case users have the right to object to unexplained, or apparent misuse; or it has no real value, and should be promptly dropped, due to unnecessary confusion and upset.

Can people please make up their mind so we can get this sorted out one way or the other.... as the system currently stands, it's looking kind of broken!

If these up/down votes are of such little significance, why bother with them at all? Better yet, why tie them to ppl's profiles in the form of an active report?

They have significance, but people shouldn't whine over them. I like knowing what people think of my posts, so I don't complain if I get a down-vote, which is what he was doing.

commented: Yes +0
Member Avatar for diafol

They have significance, but people shouldn't whine over them. I like knowing what people think of my posts, so I don't complain if I get a down-vote, which is what he was doing.

I am a little confused by comments by some contributors: they have little significance - don't pay too much attention to them. Hmm, what value to they have therefore?

It's just some fun. Posting a 'cartoon or quote of the day' would be fun.

I'm coming round to the idea, but am not entirely convinced that it is an useful addition. How many of us check each other's profiles and pour through reputation and pos/negs? Frankly, I've got better things to do.

Most posts to date (that I've seen anyhow), tend to have +1 or -1. Does this mean that only one person has bothered to vote (out of 1000 views) or that many have voted and have determined on average that the strength of feeling is approx even (hence, +1/-1).

Would it be fair to suggest that a "poll mod" could be set up so that users could vote on whether to keep a voting system? Metavoting!

I think its quite funny,i wonder HOW LOW OR HOW HIGH a thread can get?? (Could it end up @ -50??)

:D

commented: Okay, here's my contribution in moving towards the direction of -50 :P +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.