I am working on a Toshiba Qosmio G55-Q804 for someone I know, and it is giving me some real trouble. It is running Vista 64 Bit.

When you attempt to load up windows, the green loading bar appears, and loads and disappears. The screen then goes black and just stays like that. If you try to load it in safe mode the system freezes with crcdisk.sys as the last thing loaded.

I have already run ChkDsk probably 15 times. Most of the time it either says it can't be fixed, there were no errors found, or it freezes at 13% through part 3 of it. I ran Vistas automated repair initially (when the screen used to load to a black screen with a movable cursor) and it actually fixed it. I then logged into windows and after a few minutes everything started not responding until the system was locked up, aside from the mouse. After that it would no longer boot to the windows login screen.

I have system restored to a point 2 months ago, and have tried deleting drivers, renaming drivers, and deleting high filters as well, all to no avail. I have tried changing th BIOS settings and removing the battery and discharging the system.

I seriously need help with this. I cannot figure it out, and it is driving me crazy. Unfortunately I don't have the Vista install disk, as no one gives you those anymore. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi and welcome to Daniweb,
You have tried a lot of things that would normally be suggested and still have a problem. My only suggestion is to download the UBCD program, (link in my signature) make a CD/DVD and boot you machine with that. You can check your drives, viruses, etc. it is free and could help you out.

Thanks for the advice about the Ubcd. I downloaded it, and it has an amazing amount of tools on there. I am currently trying to get it to run some HDD diagnostics, and every time it says that it can't find a hard drive. Any ideas?

I just got Vivard ver 4 (which is on ubcd) and it reported no errors and no remapped. Does this mean that the hard drives physical health is not in danger? Is it a software problem then?

Ok. I just finished burning Ubuntu to a disk and am actually running that on the computer right now. Since it is running from the CD, that doesn't really rule out a faulty hard disk does it?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed to attempt to fix the current Vista Installation from Ubuntu? I have a removable DVD drive now, so I can run the Vista recovery disk and Ubuntu at the same time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.