Member Avatar for diafol

And also give them the power to be able to ban users with spammy sigs! That ReplicaWatches thing is really annoying me :S

Better give the ring to Samwise, my precious. ;)

And also give them the power to be able to ban users with spammy sigs! That ReplicaWatches thing is really annoying me :S

Sigs are part of the message. If the sig is in violation of the TOS for messages, that makes the entire message in violation, <insert maniacal laughter here> :)

Best solution IMO: scrap both rep and voting and give mods more power to remove useless and factually incorrect posts (which are the main reason people (should) vote posts down anyway) and posts in violation of the TOS (which apparently can't be removed now for some reason).

Disagreed. The mods here are pretty good, but I disagree with removing factually incorrect posts. Deleting it can actually lead to the person who posted it never knowing the correct information, or other people who have the same misconceptions never clearing those up. But I do agree on your other point about removing completely useless posts. And I also think reputation is useful. I don't have the problem of crushing people's reps, but I can see how Ancient Dragon and others do, so I think the option you guys discussed is a good idea (as long as the default option is to give full rep points, and I don't have to change it every time).

And as far as the up/down voting system goes, I was complaining about it quite a bit before in this forum, but I gave in and started ignoring it. I also agree with others who have said that the negative aspects outweigh the benefits.

You know what i found funny. On the post that i was agreeing with the whole idea of no up/down arrows and stuff a while back i got loads of people giving me up arrows on that post... Confusing much?

If they did that then DaniWeb would lose 95% of its members, including yourself.

Not really.. The links on my sig shouldn't count as spammy at all. They are not selling anything, i don't get a profit from anything, and they are all very programming related.

First one sends you to my site i made, a site *solely* devoted to wxPython tutorials. Very relevant to people who visit the python forum where i mainly post.

The others are links to a chat client that will connect the user to the daniweb irc channel.. again, i am failing to see in any way how that could be spam.

I think here that you are i have different definitions of spam.

commented: No excuses spammy-mc-spamming-pants. +0

Not really.. The links on my sig shouldn't count as spammy at all. They are not selling anything, i don't get a profit from anything, and they are all very programming related.

First one sends you to my site i made, a site *solely* devoted to wxPython tutorials. Very relevant to people who visit the python forum where i mainly post.

The others are links to a chat client that will connect the user to the daniweb irc channel.. again, i am failing to see in any way how that could be spam.

I think here that you are i have different definitions of spam.

According to DaniWeb Rules, the definition of spam is:

Do not spam, advertise, plug your website, ...

So if Dani made signature links adhere to the Rules just like normal posts then your signature links would be considered spam.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.