Hey guys,

I just came back to ask a question after a month or so of not being here. It took me some time to find the "New Post" button at the bottom of the page - honestly, I almost gave up and went to a different site. Could be discouraging for newcomers?

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

I agree bud!

If this new design WAS ANYMORE LIKE VB4,I WOULD NO LONGER COME HERE!! (Vb4 is crap,slower,etc and i have abandonend VBB sites i was on that have gone vb4 (They obviously dont care about quality,etc)

I think you need to USE MORE CAPS!! People will take you MORE SERIOUSLY!!

@Duki: What button are you talking about? The 'start new thread' or the 'new post field'?

[edit] I see in your thread title you mean the 'start new thread' button. Dani told us that it's all the way down there on purpose so that new posters first read the topic titles while they're scrolling down.

Read while scrolling??? End gets you there without the need to read and once a user knows that, well... just think about human nature... (same can be said for page navigation which should also be available at the top of the page...

I don't like it at the bottom either -- just makes it more difficult for new people to learn how to use DaniWeb.

I love the 'End' key on my keyboard :)

I love the 'End' key on my keyboard :)

Only if you knew where "Start new thread" button is. Else, it's just another key, like, Page up or Page down.

And I agree, many people (newcomers) are still searching for this button. :)

Dani told us that it's all the way down there on purpose so that new posters first read the topic titles while they're scrolling down.

Lame reasoning. Why would I read post titles when all I want to do is post a new thread? That's like reading the License Agreement before clicking "I accept the Agreement". It's hardly ever going to happen.

Don't shoot the messenger :)
Personally, I'd also like a link at the top. Same thing goes for the "mark forum as solved" link.

>>"mark forum as solved" link.

Must be a new button, I only knew we could marks threads solved, not entire forums :)

I think he means "Mark As Read" and I agree that it would be helpful to have both of those at the top as well as the bottom.

>> I only knew we could marks threads solved, not entire forums

Whoops! :S As Ezzaral said: *threads*

I agree that it should be at the top. It took me a minute to find it after the change.

Dave

Generally I would like to group new thread with the quick reply area.

What disturbs me more is the page browser being in bottom, not top of page.

End key would be useful, but there is too many things after reply space, so must scroll back up after End.

A 'start new thread' button has been added to the top of the page.

commented: awesome +0

:) Awesome!

Wait... am I missing it somewhere?

I need to play around with the colors still a bit.

Oh ok - Personally, I love the huge button. But I understand that may cause troubles with spacing at the top.

Looks nice and quite discoverable. Little shorter message would be nice for small vertical screens
START NEW THREAD IN THIS FORUM
I do not think little shouting hurts in this case.

It's a start -- needs to stand out more because I had to hunt around for it. I liked the Start New thread button that was at the bottom of the page -- just should have simply moved it to the top.

So we now have a button at the top and bottom of the page and still there are complaints. [montypython] Is this the five pound argument? [/montypython] :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.