When you move a thread here in DaniWeb Community Feedback I wish the mods would leave no redirect links. Its rather annoying to see all those moved threads, they just clutter up the list with useless links.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I thought that those redirects were visible to only mods and above and not normal members. Also, I'm not sure normal members should be even seeing those redirects.

Well, we do, and we should so that we don't lose track of threads we have poted in.

The purpose of redirects is so that members can find moved threads. When a moderator moves a thread, the thread starter gets a PM that their thread has been moved. However, all the other members and website visitors who may have been following the thread, whether or not they replied to it, can easily become frustrated in that the thread suddenly mysteriously disappears.

Another situation is that a thread in a less popular forum might be moved to a more popular forum where it is no longer on the first page. In this case, not having a Moved redirect is just an instant death sentence to the thread upon being moved.

On a separate note, whether or not there is a redirect or not, moderators can see a log of moved threads through the Thread Tools menu.

Just speaking from my own experience/point of view...

I find that seeing this (pic attached) does very much clutter the list for a forum that I'm reading.

Generally, in forums I'm reading, if they've been moved it's because they didn't belong there... and therefor I don't need/want to see them.

Additionally, when I occasionally hit the "mark forum as read" link, these ones still often show as unread (purple filled icon) anyway unless I do it a couple of times.

Again, just tossing in my 2 cents.

BTW, the ones below are from the feedback forum and as I said, not related to the feedback forum and not of interest to me to have them in my list :)

The purpose of redirects is so that members can find moved threads. When a moderator moves a thread, the thread starter gets a PM that their thread has been moved. However, all the other members and website visitors who may have been following the thread, whether or not they replied to it, can easily become frustrated in that the thread suddenly mysteriously disappears.

Sounds logical.

Another situation is that a thread in a less popular forum might be moved to a more popular forum where it is no longer on the first page. In this case, not having a Moved redirect is just an instant death sentence to the thread upon being moved.

Let's assume the thread is moved from IT Professional's Lounge to the C++ forum. For someone who helps out in the C++ forum, he/she would certainly not visit other sub-forums and look for moved threads. If a thread is moved from the "Lounge" to the "C++" forum, it would anyways mean death whether or not you have redirects in the parent forum unless of course you mean that redirected threads are always placed at the top.

I wish the mods would leave no redirect links

Well, we do, and we should

Choose one, will ya? :-)

We also have an option to leave expiring redirect? Perhaps we could leave a redirect that's only active for 2-3 days? But that's up to Dani/Davey to decide.

>>Choose one, will ya? :-)
You quoted me out of context. I said "we do" in response to your statement that you didn't think we could see those links.

I don't really have a problem with redirects when there were other posts in the thread. But leaving redirects to threads with no posts other than the original one is what I meant by cluttering up the list of threads.

Take a look at all the moved threads just in the first page of Community Feedback forum -- there are 10 of them that have redirects. I'll bet my next paycheck that there were not even one of them that contained more than the original post when it was moved.

You quoted me out of context. I said "we do" in response to your statement

Ah, quoted out of context indeed.

BTW, I think as long as those contributing to the "moved" thread (OP + the collaborators) receive the new link via a PM, it really shouldn't be a problem. If that isn't possible, leaving time bound redirects as Nick proposed should be a good alternative.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.