I've made a change to the way that quote tags are implemented. As you remember:

by itself will always show the full quote

will show/hide the quote, to eliminate redundancy and having to scroll past huge quotes

Now, when you are using the quote tags that show/hide the quote, the first line of the quote always shows up. This gives you a sneak peek to refresh your memory what the quote is, and which line of the person has been quoted, without the whole drawn out message all over again.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

I've made a change to the way that quote tags are implemented. As you remember:

[quote] by itself will always show the full quote
[quote=.....] will show/hide the quote, to eliminate redundancy and having to scroll past huge quotes

Now, when you are using the quote tags that show/hide the quote, the first line of the quote always shows up. This gives you a sneak peek to refresh your memory what the quote is, and which line of the person has been quoted, without the whole drawn out message all over again.

Looks like a good change, esp for large quoted text; thanks.

It was important to me that quotes were hidden by default because I used to get constantly frustrated when I would read a very long post, and then the post immediately following it would quote the entire darn thing, and I'd have to scroll forever.

However, I realized that the problem with hiding the entire quote is it would tell me who the quote was from, but that person might have made ten different posts in the thread already, and I didn't know exactly which quote was being referred to. This way, short quotes display, and longer quotes still need to be expanded, but at least you get the gist of the conversation and a click isn't required for comprehension.

One suggestion: I personally think that a single line is kinda insufficient for establishing the context. I agree that the *entire* quote appearing in a post esp if the quote is large requires a lot of scrolling, but 2-3 lines shouldn't be much of a bother. Plus what happens if the post to be quoted has a single line? Is there a way of knowing this?

I played around with 2-3 lines towards the beginning, but decided I prefer 1 line. So let's see how that goes :)

If the quote is only 1 line long, then clicking will do nothing. Unfortunately there is no way to know it is only 1 line long from the server side, since depending on your screen resolution, some people will see it as one line and some people may see it as two. This should be possible through CSS conditionals, but they can be sluggish and unnecessarily slow down an entire page load for such a trivial reason.

OK, sounds good, let's see.

Oh, and BTW, the quoting of noparse tags is kinda weird i.e. if you click "post reply" button for your very first post, the noparse tags are stripped off, leaving only [quote] tags. Not sure if this is expected behaviour...

The change doesn't seem to be working correctly.

QUOTING: Now, when you are using the quote tags that show/hide the quote, the first line of the quote always shows up. This gives you a sneak peek to refresh your memory what the quote is, and which line of the person has been quoted, without the whole drawn out message all over again.

QUOTE=cscgal;1487820:

QUOTE=cscgal;:

:

Looks like it is working from here, unless I'm missing something (other than my hair and a good night's sleep) Walt.

Quote without the '=' should show the entire post. Walt's last quote didn't do that.

That may be what has happened here: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread350269.html

Poster has placed all his logs within quote tags and they are not showing up. Neither can I get them to expand.

That will have to get fixed or we will end up having to edit posts to remove the tags :(.

Looks like it is working from here, unless I'm missing something (other than my hair and a good night's sleep) Walt.

Congrats on 5000 posts :).

Testing:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean vel ligula non velit suscipit vulputate. Sed massa sem, lacinia quis rhoncus sit amet, pulvinar non mi. Curabitur porta, erat sit amet imperdiet interdum, augue tellus pellentesque elit, ut euismod arcu libero ac arcu. Sed mollis, justo eget iaculis iaculis, odio ante porta lacus, sit amet congue tortor diam vitae dolor. Etiam porttitor lacus quis leo vulputate vitae molestie lorem facilisis. Morbi consectetur aliquam sem ac varius. Nunc euismod, arcu sed tempus consequat, magna mi adipiscing massa, ut condimentum dui metus ultricies est. Ut nec dui est. Phasellus vel tellus in risus ornare vehicula eget vitae tortor. Vivamus ultricies, leo nec iaculis cursus, nulla ante posuere tellus, a rutrum quam mi eget enim.

[edit]

Still no way to show the entire quote?

[edit2]

Cache flushed, problem now fixed:$

Forgot to flush the cache.. Sorry.

On my post, before the fix, quotes 2 & 3 were identical to 1.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.