It is really difficult to make comments on multiple posts which happens often enough to be a pain in the ass since you removed the multi-quote button.

PLEASE give it back!

jonsca commented: Only because you said please. +0

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

+1

I removed it when cleaning up the site design because I felt like it was very infrequently used and was confusing to people not aware of its function (it didn't appear to do anything when clicked, unless you understood its function).

I would prefer not to re-add it unless there really is a strong demand for it here. I really never saw it used more than a handful of times in the greater scheme of things.

In the past week I wanted to use it 3-4 times. On PFO this week I've used it once.

If it is only a handful of times, what does it hurt having it and not using it?

> If it is only a handful of times, what does it hurt having it and not using it?
Because any extra feature/button adds an element of confusion (& frustration) for everyone who doesn't know what it is or how to use it.

So do we cater for those who know what is what, or do we cater for the others? I would think those who know not what things are, will surely learn along the way :).

commented: The Microsoft policy of programming -- cater to the lowest denominator. +0

> If it is only a handful of times, what does it hurt having it and not using it?
Because any extra feature/button adds an element of confusion (& frustration) for everyone who doesn't know what it is or how to use it.

I'm sorry, but that's BS! A button that is clearly labeled multi-quote as it is on numerous other forums is not confusing & frustrating.

You want confusing & frustrating? Check out the images. I would find the rep area completely confusing and would ignore it. The cloud confuses me today, so I ignore it. Why would a well-labeled button be worse than these two things that already exist?

And if someone can't figure out what the label means, they will ignore it -- just like they already do with
1) Member Rules
2) Code Tags
3) Mark this Thread as Solved

And I offhand know 4 people that want it. Me, crunchie, Nick Evan, articlewriter1 for sure.

Maybe you can just add it as a colored square (like the rep arrows). That way it can't confuse anyone because it will just look like decoration on a post. Or Ctrl-click the "Post Reply" button. That way you won't be adding "any extra feature/button" and cannot possibly confuse and frustrate anyone because they don't know it's there.

I'm sorry, but that's BS! A button that is clearly labeled multi-quote as it is on numerous other forums is not confusing & frustrating.

Sorry, I don't agree with this. If I press a button and it just "glows" up without doing anything, it is confusing. Sure, it's useful when you know what it does, but confusing nonetheless. And this is coming from someone who had trouble figuring it out on the first try. :)

Perhaps the multiquote can be re-added as a checkbox? That would be more intuitive?

Tooltips can go a long way towards mitigating that confusion.

commented: Seems that's what they are for, so why not? With an option to turn them off... +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.