Oh, also, can you visit the page when logged out?

Member Avatar for LastMitch

I just got back visiting my mother over the weekend and when I sign in to DaniWeb my browser (Firefox) crash not once but twice? Making money from clicking ads? I click the ads a few times because I didn't know what was gonna on? You should earn 75¢ for the first click and the other will be or repeatedly depending how many different kind of adsense you have. Right now, since I read this thread I feel much relieve. I thought I was getting high because it does look like Optical Illusions when you hover over the ads! But anyway, my main concern is my browser crashing when I'm on DaniWeb I don't know why?

lol, OK so I wasn't seeing the ads because of NoScript but I was getting the fade effect which was highly confusing until I found this thread. I had seen the "No Ads" user profile option but for some reason had assumed that it wouldn't work since I'm not a paying member. However I have enabled it now and everythings fine. What a fantastic option to have thank you.

You shouldn't be seeing the fading effect with ads disabled in your member profile? Are you sure??

I was. I ctrl=f5-ed a few times and it didn't help. Tis morning the problem vanished however :S

LastMitch, what browser/OS is crashing? I'll look into it.

Seriously, I'm afraid the fading effect is making me feel nauseous.

It could be the diagonal hatching that's causing this - nothing to do with a dislike of intrusive advertisements. Patterns or strobe effects can sometimes cause unexpected problems for people, something you may need to be aware of here.

Update: I've since checked 'Disable ads' on the edit profile page to avoid the fading effect.

Posts are pouring in to this thread. SO i guess many of the users can actually see the 2nd page, or must be posting from the first page itself. Well! Makes me wonder, what if there are enough posts to make it to 3rd page, will i be able to open the third page????

Member Avatar for diafol

@CJ
The url posted: http://www.daniweb.com/community-center/daniweb-community-feedback/threads/423090/fade-effect-when-hovering-over-ads/2#post1807194

works fine for me and I'm on Chrome too. However, I noticed that the tab title is 2(1x1) - have a look at this page - I noticed that you're using Kaspersky - the page mentions this as being a possible issue. It provides solutions too.:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/chrome/report-a-problem-and-get-troubleshooting-help/XqrQKRYi638

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@ cscgal

I am using Window 7 Home / FireFox 12.0. Right now it's fine, I think ... but I really don't know. I would like to know the cause if you do have an answer why it crash twice.

it's cool .. and it's the first time i've seen something like this, tho i've disabled the ads now.. hehe

Yahoo..... Made it to the second page.

Here is the thing: I tired disabling the anitbanner in KAS. And it works fine. So i added daniweb.com to the exception list and all is good.

I noticed that you're using Kaspersky - the page mentions this as being a possible issue.

I really wish i had seen this. Well for me it was like your post was in a room which i had no access to. Anyway you were right on the money, it was anti banner in KAS. And thanks a lot. CJ

@Dani

So far that page seems to be only having that problem. Any idea why?? Even with ads disabled in Profile, KAS blocks the page.

Asking out of curiosity(AS ALWAYS). CJ

Is this new with the update? I always thought it WAS a paid feature. Never noticed that little check-box till you mentioned it. How long's that been there?

Haha! As far i remeber it was there from the begining. But i never cared to mark it, because i thought it was a paid feature. Well earlier with Antibanner enabled in KAS, the site never even showed any free space, that was until fading effect was introduced, i started getting white blank spaces.

And Thank U So much Dani for not making it a paid feature. CJ

Jake,

I think the best thing that you could possibly do (that would be incredibly appreciated) would be to report this as a bug to Kaspersky.

I think the best thing that you could possibly do (that would be incredibly appreciated) would be to report this as a bug to Kaspersky.

Yeah! That makes sense. Will Do.....

It was annoying because it was a bit harder to disable with AdBlock, I had to right click on ad, then click on AdBlock > Disable this ad and then use the slider to find the 'sweet spot' - the id or class of element to disable. But once I don't that I never saw another ad or any fading nonesense again.

I highly recommend everyone to use Chrome with Adblock - but don't confuse it with AdBlock Plus - I think AdBlock plus is a different extension, AdBlock works the best.

You're welcome

Actually I'd really recommend everyone to edit your member profile and click 'Disable Ads'. ;)

Hi,
I didn't read everything but its something different and I liked it. I dont like the graphics of the site much but its changing. My opinion. ;) Good Luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.