Member Avatar for LastMitch

Hi Dani,

I was on your site this afternoon as a non member and I notice that you turn off the hovering ad script and now you turn it back on.

While I was on the site this afternoon, my browser didn't crash. Right now, I'm on your site as a member and my browser didn't crash either.

I feel this Mozilla bug that is related to one fo your script is not giving any clues to you why it's happening.

Last night my browser crash 3 times and none it was near the ads meaning my cursor was not near the ads.
But for the login which you used the hovering feature on it, when I click on login and was about to type my username and then it crashes.

I know that you are pretty frustrated that this bug doesn't give you any leverages (meaning giving you some clues where it is started). This bug is pretty tricky.

Honestly, I know you been asking members to do this and do that and want this bug to crash their browser immediately. I don't want you get upset but asking member if their browser are crashing after you do changes so you can see if the problem is this and that is pretty far-fetched. It seems to me you want some magic potion and cast a spell on Mozilla to see where to pin point the issue.

I'll be honest with you, I do want this issue to be resolve too because it's not good to read something on your site then my browser crashes.

So I hope you are closed to solving the issue, but so far my browser hasn't crash, so something you been doing is working.

So hang in there

Hi Dani,

Did anyone complain about FF crashing? I mean right now FF shouldn't crash because I think you pinpoint the issue. The last time my browser crash was 10:24pm last night (Sunday Night). Right now, its Tuesday. So I mean the last 24 hours was pretty hectic for you. I have to give you credit for keeping your composure and manage to be focus to solve this issue.

I spend a lot of money advertising with Google AdWords, and the amount of visitors purchased from AdWords is about 25% more than the amount of AdWords visitors that Google Analytics reports. What this means is that there's a good chance that 25% of traffic just crashes the browser before the page loads.

I think if I was in your shoe, I'll be cursing everyone out, calling them up at this time of night ... but I think right now, FF is pretty solve. I mean if you check your adsense and your other party, you will notice that during the the last 24 hours that there was alot of clicks. I can tell you that I'm the idiot who been clicking those ads to see whether those ads that is making the browser close because I felt that you still think it's the ads fault. But it's not. I think you should be happy that you earn ... from adsense and your other party from my clicks.

Unless there's other members been doing it, then tomorrow morning when you're at work, you and your co-workers will be talking about a bunch of idiots clicking ads to see if the FF closes...

I think every member (953,659 Members) at DaniWeb should buy you a cup of java at Starbuck for your hard work. I'm part of the member (953,660) but I don't drink java that's why it was not added.

All joking a side, can you explained to me what went wrong with the script? I know you are very busy, if you have time is it possible to explain to what went wrong? I just want to know the issue.

Some other people are still complaining about the issue, so unfortunately it's not solved yet. As of right now, I am 90% sure the problem is a rogue ad.

Some other people are still complaining about the issue, so unfortunately it's not solved yet. As of right now, I am 90% sure the problem is a rogue ad.

are they using FF ?
my browser hasn't crashed for days now .. if i'm not mistaken the last was last saturday and it's tuesday today .. and i'm using FF (if i haven't mentioned that)

Yes, everyone affected seems to be using FF.

As of right now, I am 90% sure the problem is a rogue ad

That doesn't cause a broswer to crashed? Rogue ad is a malware or virus. In order for that happened someone has to download something (ads) from your site. I mean I didn't download anything from your website and my broswer still crashed. I'm pretty much speechless now. Unless other member can post their issue related to the FF crashed.

That doesn't cause a broswer to crashed? Rogue ad is a malware or virus.

Not necessarily. Nowadays, most ads are composed of complicated Javascript and Flash. From all of the reports I've been gathering, I'm pretty confident that Firefox is crashing due to a video acceleration issue. This could be caused by a Flash file that has a memory leak. Additionally, rogue Javascript can do a lot of damage nowadays as well, such as crazy animation effects or editing browser cookies, both which could cause memory leaks if poorly written.

My Chrome and Firefox browsers used to crash too. It was all solved by installing AdBlock to my Chrome and AdBlock to Firefox

Not crashing anymore, so I'm sure it had to do with ads.

Also the pages load faster without ads now.

latest version is not supported the only firefox 3.6 is supported please install the 3.6 or other browsers like rockmelt to view

Edwest, please go into your member profile and choose to disable ads. It will remove the spaces where the ads should be (i.e. to the right of the first post in a thread).

Hi Dani

please go into your member profile and choose to disable ads

Do I need to do that too?

Not necessarily. Nowadays, most ads are composed of complicated Javascript and Flash. From all of the reports I've been gathering, I'm pretty confident that Firefox is crashing due to a video acceleration issue. This could be caused by a Flash file that has a memory leak. Additionally, rogue Javascript can do a lot of damage nowadays as well, such as crazy animation effects or editing browser cookies, both which could cause memory leaks if poorly written.

I'm glad that you are 90% sure the problem is a rogue ad. From the phrase you wrote above, you did a lot of research and it seen your tired, sad and disappointed. Sad and disappointed that this update didn't go as plan and something like this (will make anyone sad):

I spend a lot of money advertising with Google AdWords, and the amount of visitors purchased from AdWords is about 25% more than the amount of AdWords visitors that Google Analytics reports. What this means is that there's a good chance that 25% of traffic just crashes the browser before the page loads.

So the other 10% I will not say anything more. It will shrink. I rather you focus on that issue rather listen to me (not complaining) or other member complaining. I don't know you so but this sound kinda weird I was trying to be supportive for the past 48 or more hours. I hope you can resolve this issue soon before the holidays. So you can start fresh after next week.

Hi Dani,

Today, I crash a couples time during the day at work not a home. I just move my mouse and it crashed? I'm kinda upset that your so called "Web Developer" haven't fixed this issue yet? It's been 10 days now! Your company has been around for 10 years now and you don't have a backup plan if something like this happened? I can't believe there's no log of what you installed during those 11th, 12th, 14th? If it was a different company your staff will be fire by now! How can any company function like this? Broswers crashing is not good for any business. Just email some Daniweb member and fixed this issue. You have a pool of experts and you don't even used them? The past 24 hours my patience had ran out, it's a good thing it's close to holiday so I can relaxed and calm down.

I'm kinda upset that your so called "Web Developer" haven't fixed this issue yet?

I do all the web development myself.

I can't believe there's no log of what you installed during those 11th, 12th, 14th?

We do have a very detailed history of exactly what code was changed at each date and time. However, there are an infinite number of factors to consider, and we cannot simply roll back a week's worth of features if we don't even know if they are or aren't the problem.

As mentioned a handful of times, please leave ads disabled in your member profile and the problem should go away, since I believe the problem is a rogue ad that DaniWeb has no control over.

It's equally as frustrating for me as well.

Hi Dani,

I do all the web development myself.

I'm sorry, I did not know that. I have to give you alot of credit if you manage to do this for that long = 10 years!

We do have a very detailed history of exactly what code was changed at each date and time. However, there are an infinite number of factors to consider, and we cannot simply roll back a week's worth of features if we don't even know if they are or aren't the problem.

Are we still on same page regarding about ads? You only have two ads, ones on top and the other on the right?

That's only 2 scripts. What's so hard just put the old 2 ads scripts.

Useless, someone try to hack to your adsense or other account, then maybe that will be hard to pinpoint.

As mentioned a handful of times, please leave ads disabled in your member profile and the problem should go away, since I believe the problem is a rogue ad that DaniWeb has no control over.

I was not log in when I was on your site. It crash twice. The first time is when I'm on your site and when I move my mouse it crash. The second is when I click php forum and read it crash.

I mean if you suggest that if I click on

ads disabled

on my profile will stop this. I really don't know how it is related to my crashes. But I'll check it.

It's equally as frustrating for me as well.

No, I don't want you to get frustrated I just want you to resolve this issue. Letting me know that you are frustrated doesn't solve this issue, it makes me more frustrated. Once you solve this issue you won't heard from me anymore regarding about this.

Hi Dani,

I was bit curious did you solve the issue yet? I mean at work I had to used Chrome so it went well. Right now, I'm on FF and I just sign in 25 minutes ago and I notice that you don't have ads on. It looks kinda weird.

I hope this quote will give you some hope that you can fixed this issue

It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded. - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.