I seriously got something wrong or my logic is broken...
I thought you get reputation points when people up-vote your posts or replies?? i got 3 and i'm still at ZERO :(.
And how do you get those community skills and endoresments?

I'm lost...

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

It's the other way. Reputation adds a vote, but votes don't add reputation. Endorsements are a separate feature entirely, where people endorse you (hopefully) when you show expertise in a certain forum.

If someone just clicks the up or down arrow, you just get a vote, it's anonymous, and it can affect your post quality score, but it doesn't factor into your reputation.

But if someone clicks the up or down arrow to vote, and ALSO fills out the comment form and submits a comment, it's no longer anonymous, and then that affects your reputation. Your rep gets affected based on the rep of the person who did the voting/commenting.

Thanks

And when can one get the skill endorsements??

when can one get the skill endorsements

Anytime, when someone thinks you are good enough in one of the topics/forums you are posting in.

That I get but when does someone become eligible for it. On my Profile it shows you have not contributed enough to the community for this, while another person with fewer contributions has got endorsments.

Plus, it would have been much better if there was an easily accessible page that described rules for all such things.

I have about 14 posts, I have helped solve 3 QnA's isn't there any fixed limit to this. Is everything unspecified here??

Other people can endorse you, but no one has yet.

tapananand hasn't contributed enough for the community to rank skills and expertise, or to gauge topics of interest.

This is what is being shown on my profile. While those who are eligible it shows:

XYZ has contributed enough for us to gauge topics of interest. However, no one has endorsed any skills yet. Why don't you be the first?

I see the following in your profile right now so you should be good:

tapananand has contributed enough for us to gauge topics of interest. However, no one has endorsed any skills yet. Why don't you be the first?

Very strange that it was showing "hasn't contributed enough" a couple of days back...

If you look at tapanand's member profile graph, you can see that all of his posts were within the last day or so.

So is that also considered when finding the contribution of a user.
Even if it is, I don't find a place which mentions all these rules. Please have a FAQ or something. It's really important for any kind of website.

Well, for members with no endorsements, the amount of posts that you have is the difference between the messaging:

tapananand has contributed enough for us to gauge topics of interest. However, no one has endorsed any skills yet.

and

tapananand hasn't contributed enough for the community to rank skills and expertise, or to gauge topics of interest.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.