I think Daniweb should start a Face Book Group & a group on a new platform called groups.io. This new platform is the successor to Yahoo groups. in 2019 Yahoo made a business decission to discontinue its groups after almost 20 years.

In November of 2020, Yahoo deleted the entire groups division from its website. There are hundreds of groups using the platform, but they are still accepting new groups. Once you apply, it takes about 24 hours to get te approval from the people who manage the groups division.

As to Face Book, there is a group called Daniweb. I don't know who runs the group. There are 6 members, but with some publicity, it could grow. Face Book is one of the top social media websites, an a group with a lot of members will certainly help Daniweb expand its "brand".

The existing Facebook groups are all now-abandoned fan groups started by members many years ago.

What would be the benefit to creating an official Facebook group or groups on other social media sites? What would be posted there? What would be the benefits to utilizing it?

The purpose of the DaniWeb website, itself, is to be a community that unites people interested in technology. Here on DaniWeb, we have message forums where you can ask any question, start a discussion, get programming help, etc. We have one-on-one chat, and we have group chat. DaniWeb members can even start their own DaniWeb group chats about topics that interest them. We have a robust API that allows third party developers to tap into the DaniWeb database and create their own apps that connect DaniWeb members. We have a patented algorithm that matches users with each other based on the likelihood they would want to meet each other, and a robust user search to discover new people in your geographic area.

I get that it makes marketing sense to have a social media presence. However, aside from an official Facebook page, which we do have (not a group, but a FB business page), and an official Twitter account, which I'm active in, what would be the advantage of sending our members off-site to chit chat, when we have a more robust chatting system right here (which is actually our core product)? Facebook groups aren't conducive to posting programming questions or code, etc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.