My name is Henry, and I started programming about 10 years ago. I always loved playing video games, even from a young age. That passion eventually turned into something much more. Learning programming languages is very popular at the moment. A lot of people leave their current workplaces to learn how to create websites, programmes, games, etc. The reason for that is how high-paying this industry has become. On top of that, it’s an activity that you will enjoy. They say that if you love what you do, you won’t have to work a day in your life. That’s exactly how I feel when it comes to programming and creating games.
When I started this venture, game development was on a rise. However, I never imagined that it would become so popular in such a short time. E-gaming is taking over the world at the moment. There are professional gamers that earn more than some athletes. Nevertheless, they wouldn’t be able to do that without game developers and programmers. Game development was affected the most by technological advancements. Things that were once deemed impossible are now part of everyday life. Advancements allowed a lot of independent game developers to appear on the market. Most of them already have several success stories behind them.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Here I would like to continue... Before I talk about my first game, I would like to make sure that you understand the difference between programming and scripting language. A lot of people use these terms as synonyms, which is wrong. We can say that all scripting languages are programming as well. However, all programming languages are not scripting ones. The need for former ones came first. They were used to build the most basic products. For instance, Microsoft apps like Word and Excel, Internet Explorer, etc. With time, extra functionalities were required. For that to happen, programming languages had to be enhanced. That’s how scripting ones were created.
The main difference between the two is that a scripting language doesn’t use a compiler to check code while programing one need compiler to turn the code into machine language. Scripting languages need an interpreter to do the same thing. This means that code is checked line by line. Another major difference is that all programming languages run independently. Contrary to that, a scripting one has to be interpreted within another program. For example, JavaScript has to become a part of HTML before it’s interpreted by a browser. A programming language is always standalone, while scripting needs a parent program.
Last but not least, we have to mention one more thing. Both types of languages were created to help with software development. A programming one is used to directly code and create software. On the other hand, a scripting one is used to improve that coding and make it simpler. To get the maximum out of software development, both languages have to be used. These languages were used to create many games, some of them you can see at the platform - Pokieslab.
Now that we are clear on the languages let me tell you how I created my first game. It was more than 5 years ago when I first decided to learn Java coding. I wanted to test my progress so I used Java programming to create a slot game. It was a very simple game which was working well on my phone. The slot had three reels with just one line. Below, there was a spin button. The gameplay was beyond simple, getting two matched symbols led to a smaller win, while 3 matched symbols gave the biggest win.

By your definition Java, not producing machine code, and needing a run-time interpreter for its byte codes, is a scripting language.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.