Has anyone played doom 3 yet. I think the game is great. What are your opinions on it. I also want to know people think that Half-Life 2 will be better or Doom 3 will be better.

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Dark_Omen

We had Doom 3 here at work on our games network a few weeks ago. It's an alright game as far as shooters go, but it's a bit on the dark side, which IS the effect they are aiming for.. so I guess they succeeded.
It's just another shooter with new weapons and textures as far as I'm concerned.
Wolfenstein anyone?

Wolfenstein is a great game. It is a fun game that has a good story. The graphics are pretty good. I think it is good that developers started make some revamped games from the past like doom and wolfenstein.

I'm kinda opposite that way, I'm tired of the 'same old same old'. I've been playing these things since Wolf3D first game out, and it's getting monotonous now.

I wish they'd come up with something truly new.

About it being dark i hated having to scroll to my flashlight but then i downloaded a mod so now i have flashlight built into all my guns. I like it it does get a little boring after playing it a while. I think half-life2 will be better story wise, but judgng from the counter strike source graphics and half-life2 screeshots doom3 has better graphics(the shading and lighting in that game are so great).

A lot of the new games though are just a bunch of fluff, with no good story line and just a bunch of good graphics that slows done your computer. Thats why I feel these new editions to the series are good.

Every game that is out today is based on another game that has come before it.
Ever played Jungle King?

I m not happy with Doom 3, it didnt offer anything new or exciting, only exception is the graphics. It's like unreal tournament 2003-- both disappointed me. However, Unreal Tournament 2004 rocks. I think Half-life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 will rule the next generation of FPS. As for Doom 3 -- I think they should try to give the gamers a better gameplay along with the State-of-the-art Graphics Engine. We gamers die for gameplay not for the Graphics. When I think of my favourite FPSs I find Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004, Halo, Serious Sam, Return to castle wolfenstein but unfortunately Doom 3 doesnt fall into that category.

We gamers die for gameplay not for the Graphics. When I think of my favourite FPSs I find Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004, Halo, Serious Sam, Return to castle wolfenstein but unfortunately Doom 3 doesnt fall into that category.

the engine does make the game.. ..i was looking forward to the console release
of DOOM 3..

i played doom 3 too dark you have to put down the flashlight to use the gun which annoyes me and the story is lame i used to think that half life was going to be great but now after playing doom 3....who knows maybe the game will rock the world tough i heard that valve was in court again who knows???

if you download the mod for the game then the flashlight is built into the gun they have a billion of them at gamershell. The story is kind of lame but they tried to keep it true to the original storyline. Just be glad your not playing wolf3d.

I have played Doom3 and it sucked. Its like anyother doom game but darker and harder to see. what is the point of calling it a shooter if u haold a damn flashlight around all the time.

Well I saw the trailer for HL2 and I am convinced that it will be better than Doom 3. It will be better because the game play will be good and the game engine is probably revolutionary. Also I think they added a lot of cool features into it. The only thing I don't see yet is the relation from the first one because some how it continues, hope they explein that.

Doom 3 rocks, Scary as hell, and even harder. So far i just sent out the transmission (not sure what would have happend if i cancled the transmission but o well. just gives replay value to the game) I honestly think its the best First person shooter that i have played so far this year, based on graphics, and mood. Though when it comes to the plot its a little lacking.

I run the game on lowest res with all the settings for graphics turned on accept AA. Runs good on my machine.

I can run the game on medium settings without it affecting my pc and like i posted before the story line could use some work but the graphics are sick. It is a little boring after a while of walking through dark room after dark room.

I'm surprised I was able to stop playing long enough to comment, but so far I think it's a good game. Most people's comments are spot-on: it's just an updated version of the original. I originally didn't like the idea of switching back and forth between the flashlight and the weapons, but I've stuck with it for the fear factor.

I think Half-Life 2 is going to be awesome. If you've seen the 30-minute video on it, there is a lot to look forward to. Hopefully the November '04 release date is for real!

Graphic-wise, I am running the game at 1024x768 w/ shadows turned off and I get about 38 FPS. Not great, but playable. Maybe in a few years we'll have computers that can actually play this game with all of the bells & whistles turned on! Most of the comments have been about the graphics...I think they look cool, but has anybody played FarCry? It looks just as good and runs a lot smoother, even in the huge outdoor environments. However, DOOM 3 does an excellent job with the audio. I only have a 4.1 surround system and am considering upgrading to 5.1 to see if that makes it even better.

Well, that's enough chit chat, I got me some demons to frag!

Hey they began pre order on steam, could this mean that HL2 could be released in the next couple of weeks.

that happened like a month ago i dont think they are ever going to release it i tried hacking the gcf file with gcfscape but no luck on finding the game files.

no last month was the pre-loading of HL2, now you are able to pre-order(see the difference). When you pre-order it you can automatically play counter-strike:source. They have three packages to choose from when you pre-order on Steam. One with HL2, CS:S, DOD:S, HL1:S, all of the previous half-life based games, posters, a hat, a postcard, and some other stuff for 89.99. The other packs are 59.99 and 49.99. It should be coming out soon. I predict sometime in early November, if not earlier.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.