A year lasts exactly 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 54.517 seconds.

If all the world's oceans were divided amongst all the people on the planet, each person would get five cubic miles of water.

A year lasts exactly 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 54.517 seconds.

I come up with 365.243 days. or 365 days 5hours 49mins 55.2seconds

Bob

I saw a notice which said "Drink Canada Dry" so I've started.

I come up with 365.243 days. or 365 days 5hours 49mins 55.2seconds

Interestingly, the sidereal day is 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4.09 seconds

Bob

I saw a notice which said "Drink Canada Dry" so I've started.

I remember the good old days when I could drink for free in Canada - I would give the clerk a $20.00 bill and s/he would give me a $20.00 bill and a 6-pack of Molson (US$ vs CA$). Now the Canadians can almost do that down here!

ObElephant -if oil was valued in Euroes, it would only be 80 per gallon rather than 120 per.

Tibetans put salt in their tea instead of sugar.

Originally Posted by ZZucker View Post
In China a woman gives birth every 2 seconds.
Can they not find her and give her birth control??

SNL had a skit wrt "in NYC, someone gets mugged every 15 seconds" with John Belushi playing the poor schmuck who kept getting mugged

In some smaller towns in the state of Arizona, it is illegal to wear suspenders.

Bob.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."
--Lily Tomlin

Most Egyptians, 3000 years ago, lived only to an age of around 30 years.

In my town of Evanston (IL, not WY) it is illegal to go bowling. Also to skip in a bathing suit.
And in Atlanta, GA, it is illegal to tie a giraffe (Giraffa camelopardis) to a telephone pole (Kahniu hirmeenou).

"and Robbie Burns is...well, if you don't already know who he was, you're kinda screwed."

Interestingly, we are approaching the 212th anniversary of his death (21 July 1786)

In Riverside, California, there is an old law on the city's books which makes it illegal to kiss unless both people wipe their lips with rose water.
................................................................................................................................................................................

Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vaccuum tubes and perhaps weigh 1.5 tons.

Popular Mechanics, March 1949

I remember the good old days when I could drink for free in Canada - I would give the clerk a $20.00 bill and s/he would give me a $20.00 bill and a 6-pack of Molson (US$ vs CA$). Now the Canadians can almost do that down here!

ObElephant -if oil was valued in Euroes, it would only be 80 per gallon rather than 120 per.

The sidereal day.

The length of time which passes between a given "fixed" star in the sky crossing a given projected meridian (line of longitude). The sidereal day is 23 h 56 m 4.1 s, slightly shorter than the solar day because the Earth Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy's orbital motion about the Sun Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy means the Earth Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy has to rotate slightly more than one turn with respect to the "fixed" stars in order to reach the same Earth-Sun orientation. Another way of thinking about the difference is that it amounts to 1/365.2425th of a day per day, since even if the Earth Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy did not spin on its axis at all, the Sun Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy would appear to make one rotation around the Earth Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy as the Earth Eric Weisstein's World of Astronomy completed a single orbit (which takes one year).

Interesting facts and tidbits!

The average person blinks about 10,000 times in a year.

The average person blinks about 10,000 times in a year.

Who counted them??

Bob.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Human beings are the only creatures that allow their children to come home."
- Bill Cosby (1937 - )

There have only been two volcano eruptions big enough to spread ash over the entire globe in the last 2000 years.

One of them, the massive explosions of Krakatoa in Indonesia on August 26 - 27, 1883, was among the most violent volcanic events in modern times.

A whale's heart beats about 10 times a minute.

Women were banned by royal decree from using hotel swimming pools in Jidda, Saudi Arabia, in 1979.

Bob.
.......................................................................................................................................

"I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something."
- Jackie Mason

Women were banned by royal decree from using hotel swimming pools in Jidda, Saudi Arabia, in 1979.

Where in the Sharia, Hadith, or Koran does it say anything about that??? Suppose it's a women's-only hotel???

There is a good reason these folks hide their women under lots of robes.

There is a good reason these folks hide their women under lots of robes.

Er, what are you trying to say here sneek??

In trucking, a tractor traveling w/o a trailer is called 'bob-tail'.

There have only been two volcano eruptions big enough to spread ash over the entire globe in the last 2000 years.

One of them, the massive explosions of Krakatoa in Indonesia on August 26 - 27, 1883, was among the most violent volcanic events in modern times.

What was the other please??

Bob

In trucking, a tractor traveling w/o a trailer is called 'bob-tail'.

Try, "bobtail" without a hyphen.

"A bobtail is a tractor operating without a trailer. Also refers to straight truck."

Bob

Popular American writer, Dr. Seuss, coined the word "nerd."

What was the other please??

Bob

My guess is that it might be this one. The 1815 eruption of Tambora in Indonesia blanketed the atmosphere with ash; the following year, 1816, came to be known as the 'Year Without A Summer', when frost and snow were reported in June and July in both New England and Northern Europe.

Not only did Willy the Shake come up with coumpound nouns (like "bedroom" or "stovepipe"), he also coined the following terms: hush, puke, anchovy, bandit, manager, glow, alligator, mimic, useless, and jig (among many, many, others).

US tap water east of the Mississippi is unsuitable for home brewing beer because of its low alkaline content.

The average western woman consumes about 6 pounds of lipstick in her lifetime.

The average western woman consumes about 6 pounds of lipstick in her lifetime.

Is that pounds stirlings??

Maybe there were two ducks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.