WOW.................................... ;)...........................some of you are intrepid! But what entertainment value would we all be getting out of this if were all alike. I presume not much at all...

My excessive use of this- .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................is perhaps to show that I type like I speak. Sometimes pausing to add character to my typing.

Grimjack,
when did you become such short fused?

That wasn't a short fuse, I was sucking up to Aia.

Okay, okay - bad joke. I was actually trying to offer some help with English

Would you believe.... I have an uncompromising hate for lol, and was not sure that you were EFL so was pointing out what periods are usually used for and then slipped into attack mode, sigh

GrimJack

Now I see your side of the post! Very nice attention grabber for me, anyway, no hard feelings. Just a bit surprised at your reaction. I have seen you on several posts, and did not quite "get" where that came from.

Soooo, about the LHC, does anyone see any world leaders bringing in their thoughts of possible mass destruction when this machine is taken to near capacity. I thought perhaps some political intervention would be an abosolute neccesity to filter through whatever thoughts are running through their heads (science inevitably will not be left to the scientists, right!) about the project. Again, I can see all sorts of delays for this, and am curious to know how long it might take to get through it.

All thoughts and ideas are appreciated!

It is interesting that we started building one that was about 7 times larger in Texas and had spent about 10 billion on it before it was killed.

What will probably save science is that CERN is very well known and trusted and the project was the group effort of many different countries. So I am pretty sure that it will make it to full capacity and science will get a real boost.

That looks like spam to me ^ please remove admin :P
> edit Admin deleted post <

Also LHC rocks, lets find that higgs Boson :D

personally I'm more curious as to the reason for an unbalance of matter/anti-matter in the universe then the higgs boson. although, i think that finding evidence of the higgs boson may be the number one purpose of most scientists on this mission.

It is interesting that we started building one that was about 7 times larger in Texas and had spent about 10 billion on it before it was killed.

What will probably save science is that CERN is very well known and trusted and the project was the group effort of many different countries. So I am pretty sure that it will make it to full capacity and science will get a real boost.

I had no idea we started one in Texas. Do you know the name of the project? Is it going to be possible to continue the project, or is it forever abandoned? Thanks for filling me in GrimJack, I am gonna have to look into this!

I had no idea we started one in Texas. Do you know the name of the project? Is it going to be possible to continue the project, or is it forever abandoned? Thanks for filling me in GrimJack, I am gonna have to look into this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider

One thing that i found quite funny, was that the media kept saying that CERN is a black hole machine, and will kill us all. yet everyone knows that it can make black holes, but what the media dont say is that, they disappear as fast as they appear, and so nothing comes of them. Good job i did physics once.

>> Good job i did physics once.
You'll save the world you will, Serunson. I feel save in your hands.
Edit: Or rather with your mind!

One thing that i found quite funny, was that the media kept saying that CERN is a black hole machine, and will kill us all.

It would have been much more popular with the public at large if they had said it was an ice cream machine instead.

yes, a machine that produces Ice cream so cold that it takes months to melt. I wonder, how long it would it take a 4L tub of ice cream at absolute zero to melt in 20 degrees celcius. I guess you would need the coefficient of the ice cream and probably some other info as well.

A while, but just surround it in liquid nitrogen for a long time first :P
Everyone needs some supercooled superconductor! :D

I just read that the thing won't be operational till next Spring. They have to unthaw it to fix the electrical connection of one of the massive magnets.

yip, there was someone daily planet tlast night talking about it as well.

lol, i'm sure the human body can survive the temperature of -200 dec C with ease, No need to wait for it to thaw when you wear a fleece! :D

They just don't make electricians anymore like they used to!

Would be interesting if you could make black holes that easily.

Those magnets are gigantic, well insulated, and no provisions have been made to heat them up.

yes, a machine that produces Ice cream so cold that it takes months to melt. I wonder, how long it would it take a 4L tub of ice cream at absolute zero to melt in 20 degrees celcius. I guess you would need the coefficient of the ice cream and probably some other info as well.

I spent an hour last night walking through what would be needed to calculate this - it is pretty ugly. Let's consider the ice cream is sitting on a perfectly insulated floor (absorbs no heat), the floor is actually a plane that can be considered infinite (no build up of insulating cold air), and the humidity is zero (so no moisture from air freezes to insulate the ice cream). Sigh, the Oxygen begins to liquefy (90.2K) and pool, then the Nitrogen begins to liquefy (77.36K) and solidify (63.15K) then the Oxygen begins to solidify (54.36K)- well, actually probably only gets to slush because the ice cream has warmed up a bit (I guess, we have to treat the ice cream like a large point source of cold cuz who wants to calculate the heat loss coefficient across the <crap, can we also put the ice cream in a sphere?> radius of ice cream). There is not much convection because the air is really cold and the frozen Nitrogen and slushy Oxygen are insulating the ice cream

(The thermal conductivity of liquid oxygen below 80 K and pressures up to 1 MPa has been measured using a horizontal, guarded, flat-plate calorimeter. The working equation of the calorimeter is based on the one-dimensional Fourier’s law. The gap between the calorimeter plates was measured in situ from a capacitance measurement. The cooling power to the calorimeter is provided by a two-stage Gifford–McMahan cryocooler. The absolute temperatures are measured using platinum resistance thermometers.)

Anyway, the math is way more than I want to play with; but it was fun thinking about it.

I was wondering

They just don't make electricians anymore like they used to!

Would be interesting if you could make black holes that easily.

We should send in Joe the plumber - if his pants are low enough, that would be dark hole, er sorry

We should send in Joe the plumber - if his pants are low enough, that would be dark hole, er sorry

Nice to see some of that humor Grim!! I know you don't like "lol" so how bout LMAO!! HeHe

Thanks -
Did you like the ice cream rap? I realize it is mostly an exageration, but it was fun.

Thanks -
Did you like the ice cream rap? I realize it is mostly an exageration, but it was fun.

I like to call it entertaining ignorance...sounded like you were right out of one of those sci-fi movies where you sound like you know what you are talking about! At any rate, how long did it take you to come up with that one? ;)

I like to call it entertaining ignorance...sounded like you were right out of one of those sci-fi movies where you sound like you know what you are talking about! At any rate, how long did it take you to come up with that one? ;)

I lost the first attempt which is just as well cus i focused on the moisture then someone mention low-temp gases; so I pre-empted the moisture and used the gases that make up most of 'air'. It surprised me when O2 boiled then N boiled then melted and then O2 melted. we would have had to come up with the coefficient of the temperature gradient from the inside of the ice cream to the service, and the gradient across the frozen air, then calculate the heat loss due to thermal convection. DaniWeb does not allow for the use of sub and super scripts or special math characters. It really made for interesting reading; this was a lot of help http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele007.html

yeah on that day everyone said the world was going to end we had an end of the world party followed by a surviving the end of the world party.

lol, what an epic fail at CERN they broke it already. i mean spending that amount of money, they could have at least done it right first time!

I know you are kidding; it was the beta - the first time they tested all the subsystems as a single system (or is that Euro-envy).

LHC version 1.0

lol, what an epic fail at CERN they broke it already. i mean spending that amount of money, they could have at least done it right first time!

I am still impressed with what has taken place so far...it is only the beginning! The collider will be fixed and testing will commence!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.